Learning about Collective Nouns

March20

A collective noun is used for a groups of persons, things or animals. Certain collective nouns are used for particular groups. Some examples of collective nouns are:
* an audience of spectators
* a herd of elephants
* a bunch of flowers
* a litter of kittens
* a crowd of people
* a pack of wolves
* a fleet of ships
* a swarm of bees
* a flock of birds
* a colony of ants
* a gaggle of geese
* a troop of kangaroos
The children in Year 2/3 choose a collective noun to illustrate. Check out our fantastic posters:

“Learning about Collective Nouns”

1. March 20th, 2012 at 11:22 am      Reply Mr Huthart Says:

I loved your pictures and I think it is a wonderful way of sharing your learning with us in England. I enjoyed seeing your work.

2. March 21st, 2012 at 11:21 pm      Reply Miss Dickson Says:

2/3D your work just gets better and better. Well done. I look forward to seeing more in 2012.
    You are very talented.

3. March 23rd, 2012 at 11:04 pm      Reply Elaine Says:

Looks like you have done some great work on Collective Nouns. Your illustrations are fantastic. My favourite Collection Nouns is a bunch of flowers.

Elaine

4. March 29th, 2012 at 3:49 am      Reply jacobi Says:

I like doing the noun posters. It was fun.:):):):):):):):):):)

5. March 29th, 2012 at 3:59 am      Reply jacobp Says:

your collective nouns are intelligent pictures.

from Jacob.P

6. March 29th, 2012 at 4:04 am      Reply isabella Says:

Hi 2/3D!
    I loved doing our noun posters.
    From Isabella

7. April 3rd, 2012 at 3:04 pm      Reply Ross Mannell Says:

Hello Year 2/3D,

I think your representations of collective nouns are brilliant. They so clearly show the collection and their associated collective nouns.

Sometimes when I see collective nouns, they can be funny to read.
    “a mischief of mice” is one I’ve heard. Does it mean they get up to mischief?

I also find some things can have more than one collective noun depending on when or where they are being used. Different countries can use different collective nouns. I’ve found these describing cats…
    clowder of cats
    clutter of cats
    glaring of cats
    pounce of cats
    dout of cats (house cats)
    nuisance of cats (house cats)
    kendle of cats (kittens)
    kindle of cats (kittens)
    litter of cats (kittens)

I wonder what we might call a group of aliens?
    What might a group of wombats be called?
    Would we call a group of yawning people a “sleep of people”?
    Would a group of ladders be a “climb of ladders”?

Isn’t our language interesting? If we find a group without a special collective noun, we can always create a new one for it.

Thanks for sharing your work. I found it very interesting. 🙂

@RossMannell