ANZAC Day is important to remember because many people died in World War 1 (by Louisa, Atara and Aine). On the 25th April, 1915 the soldiers in the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps landed on Gallipoli. During this time over 8,000 Australian soldiers were killed fighting for our freedom. On ANZAC Day we remember the soliders who fought in the war for our freedom (by Theresa, Zara and Sophie).

Although the Gallipoli campaign failed in its military objectives, the Australian and New Zealand actions during the campaign left us all a powerful legacy. The creation of what became known as the “ANZAC legend” became an important part of the identity of both nations, shaping the ways they viewed both their past and their future. Click on the video link below to hear the song ‘The Last ANZAC’.

Jack Simpson was a very kind, helpful and brave man. He rescued many wounded soldiers. Jack was only 22 when he died, he was shot in the back and it hit his heart. During his time in Gallipoli Jack used lots of donkey to help him transport the wounded soldiers. His favourite donkey was Duffy (By Brigitte, Kes and Lachlan). Jack was kind, helpful, responsible, generous, and brave. He was a hero to many people (By Sarah, Gemma, and Ellie). Click on the link below to learn more about Jack Simpson and his donkey Duffy.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

What does ANZAC Day mean to you?

26 Responses to “ANZAC Day – 25th April”
  1. Marg Yore says:

Anzac Day is a time for remembering stories about war, bravery, loss and courage. It is important that the stories are told over and over again and that those who went before us are remembered for their bravery. Well done for your thinking about Anzac Day. In the Seniors, we read a story called, “Lone Pine” and wrote our thoughts about that story. It’s well worth reading this amazing true story!

Marg Yore and the Seniors

http://www.themiddlematters.blogspot.com

2. Ross Mannell says:

Hello 2/3 Class,

What does ANZAC Day mean to me?

It would be too long to write my comment here so I prepared a link to a post…

http://rossmannell.posterous.com/for-23-class-anzac

Did any of you attend a march or service on ANZAC Day?

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• adickson says:

Dear Ross,
      Thank you for your great comments on ANZAC day. I learnt quite a lot while reading your reflections about the ANZAC day march. While watching ‘The Today Show’ this morning a soldier said three words which sum up the meaning of Anzac day – mateship, sacrifice and remembrance.
      Lest we forget.
      From Miss Dickson

• Elisa and Atara says:

Dear Ross
      Thank you for your comment about Anzac day.
      Thank you for telling us about Ted Mattew. We did not go to any anzac day march.

from Elisa and Atara

• Marcus and Justin says:

Dear Ross,
      We like your comments about ANZAC Day. It was very interesting and had a lot of information. We liked how you talked about your family members. Thank you for posting your comment.
      Yours Sincerley
      Marcus and Justin

• Ross Mannell says:

Hello 2/3 Class,

I’m glad you enjoyed the post on ANZAC Day. I was able to film the Dawn Service in my town this year but not the march as driving rain and winds would have damaged my camera. If you want to see what out town’s Dawn Service looked like, it is on my website home page for a while. Click on the link below then look at the bottom of the page and you’ll the video…

http://rossmannell.net/

@RossMannell

• brigitte says:

Dear Ross,
        Thank you for the video you sent for us to watch. I watched it and it was a very good video.

From Brigitte:)

3. Ellie says:

Hi 2/3D
    I could not watch the video because I had no internet. I only saw some of it.
    From Ellie

4. Marie Dickson says:

2/3D

This is truly wonderful work. Anzac Day is very special and we stop to respect, honour and thank all those brave people who fought to give us the freedom we enjoy today. It is inspiring to know that you know so much about the history and spirit of Anzac Day.

Marie Dickson

• isabella and stephanie says:

Dear Marie Dickson,
      Thank you for visiting our blog. We hope you enjoyed it.
      Do you know the story of Simpson and his donkey?
      We hope you had a quiet time on Anzac day.
      from isabella and stephanie

5. Jacobi says:

Hi 2/3D,
    I really like the video on Anzac day. I watched a movie about Anzac. It was so good see you all at school.
    From Jacob

6. Mrs Dielemans says:

2/3 D
    It was lovely to read your post about the ANZAC story.
    ANZAC Day is such a respectful day where we can reflect on the men and women who have shown such bravery and courage. It is also a nice time to spend in thought about the people who are currently working in other countries to help others live happily and peacefully, without fear.
    From Mrs Dielemans

• jacobi +brigitte says:

Hi Mrs Dielemans,

we really like your comment and thank you for commenting on our blog. We hope you had a great ANZAC day.
      see you at school soon.

from Jacob I and Brigitte

• Alexsi and Jacon P says:

To Mrs Dielemans

Thank you for your comment. What does ANZAC day mean to me? It means that we remember the people who have died and survied the war. I hope you had a great ANZAC day yesterday and I hope your famliy did too.

From Alexsi and Jacob

7. Mrs Johnston says:

Hi 2/3,

Anzac Day is an important day for my family. Each year weather permitting we go into the march to watch my Dad march. My Dad was in the Vietnam war. It is a day where we recognize what he and many others have done for our country. It is an emotional day for my Dad and he loves that his family are there to see him march. He has a small set of medals that our children take it in turns to wear each year. Our son, Kaelan is hoping that one day he will be able to march with his Pa.

Mrs Johnston

• Monica says:

Dear Mrs Johnston,
      Thank you for writing a comment on our blog.
      How did your father get to be in the war?
      From Monica

• ainelouisa says:

Dear Mrs Johnston,
      We learned a lot from your comment.
      From Aine and louisa

• Theresa and Sophie says:

Dear Mrs Johnston,
      Thank you for your comment. It was fun learning a little bit about your family traditions on ANZAC day and how you Dad fought in the Vietnam war.
      We hope Kaelan will be able to march with his Pa too.
      From Theresa and Sophie

8. stephanie says:

Hi 2/3D,
    on ANZAC day i had to stay home and do my homework. I had Lots to do. Imdid Reding and writing and also Maths.
    so on ANZAC day my Family had a quiet day.
    What did you do on ANZAC day?
    From Stephanie

9. Hello Learning Together Kids,
    This was wonderful information about your Anzac Day. We are in the USA and our second grade students are learning about Australia and New Zealand this year. This will help them know about this important day. We have Memorial Day in May and Veteran’s Day in November to celebrate and honor soliders who fought in wars. We have parades and speeches are made to honor those soliders. In May some people put flowers on graves of soliders who died.

Mrs. Todd

• brigitte says:

Dear Mrs Todd,
      Thank you for commenting on our blog. We really liked reading your comment.

From Brigitte:)

10. Room 17 Pinehill School says:

Room 17 also learned about ANZAC day last week. We have ANZAC services and parades all over New Zealand and some of us attended these. We also learned about ANZAC at school so we understand what happened all those years ago. It is very moving to see the service men and women parading in their full uniform to honour their fallen counterparts.

11. Steve says:

I think it is wonderful that Holy Family School is learning all about ANZAC day and in particular the sacrifice that all our troops have made during so many conflicts. I was able to explain to Brigitte and Olivia that their great grandfather was wounded in New Guinea and his brother Pattie was killed in the Pacific during world war II. I again thank you for enabling us as a family to dwell and discuss the tragedy of war.

Regards

Steve PHILLIPS

• Theresa says:

Dear Steve,
      Thank you for your comment. It is sad hearing that Brigitte’s great grandfather’s brother died in world war 2.

From Theresa

12. Louisa says:

Dear 2/3D
    It was really nice learning about Jack Simpson and the people who fought in the wars for us. I wonder how many people attended the dawn service and why people do it? I saw on the TV that at Galipoli they have a very big dawn service and everyone had sleepping bags and beanies and a lot of other things. There was a big stage where all the people are mostly related or some other people like very close friends and family sit on. Some people even watched it on a big screen and TV. Lots of people had one minute silence. The Anzac Ode is very special. There is another special day where we observe a one minute silence, that day is called rememberance day. I learned a lot from the song, like Jack Simpson and poppies and other wonderful things.
    From Louisa

13. kata manos says:

what does Anzac day mean to? On 25th of April it is my birthday and we also celebrate Anzac day because it is special to my family. We sing nationl anthem. sorry every body about my spelling. I’m 7 of age I’m kind

jack simpson is a nice guy and poppies and other things

14.