Year 2/3D are learning how to write a persuasive text.

April29

Dogs are better than cats

Dogs are better than cats because they are loving loyal animals.

Dogs are good animals because they help you get fit when you go for a walk with them.

Dogs are better than cats because dogs can be trained to do special jobs like taking care of blind people or they can work at the police force, army and on a farm.

Dogs are better than cats because they are active and love to play and learn new things.

I hope you buy a dog. Choose the right breed and you will end up with a great family pet.

By Brigitte

Dogs are better than cats

Dogs are much better than cats. I have always liked them.

Dogs are much more active than cats. Cats just laze away all day but dogs don’t so you can play with them.

Dogs are very smart. They can be trained to round up sheep, sniff drugs out, help blind people or be in the police force.

Best of all dogs love you and will protect you in danger.

So buy a dog not a cat.

By Aine

Cats are better than dogs

Cats are very cute. They always lie in your lap and are very warm and fluffy.

Cats don’t poop in just any place. They dig their own holes. On the other hand, dogs poop in random places and the owners have to get their hands dirty when they pick up the poop with bare hands.

Dogs bark loudly and disturb owners anytime, such as when the owner sleeps, when they’re doing something important and when people have guests over. Dogs leap up and the guests go not expect it.

Dogs slobber spit and it is gross. Cats do not slobber and they keep clean. Dogs can get really dirty and owners have to get dirty, carryoing the dog and clean it. Cats are really clean. Besides cats do not like water so they keep very clean.

I like cats because they are cute and they are fluffy.

By Theresa

What is your point of view? Do you think dogs are better than cats or do you believe cats are better than dogs?

“Year 2/3D are learning how to write a persuasive text.”

1. April 29th, 2012 at 11:54 pm      Reply Middle S Says:

I really liked your persuasive text. I would like to see you do both sides of the argument in your text – Riley, grade 4

I really enjoyed your persuasive text. It really enthused me about your writing. I agree with Riley, that it would be great to see both sides of the story, please – Matt, grade 4

I think dogs are better than cats because dogs don’t annoy you and sometimes cats are meowing in the morning. On the other hand, cats aren’t always barking, waking you up or making a mess, plus dogs don’t always notice what’s in front of them – Georgia, grade 4

I think dogs are better than cats because dogs keep you company so when you don’t know what to do you can go play fetch with your dog. Sometimes when you go up to cats they run away – Tessa, grade 3

I really liked all your persuasive texts and I liked how you said “on the other hand”, but I think cats are better than dogs, because with some cats you don’t have to look after them a lot and dogs you have to take for a walk. Dogs don’t care where they go to the toilet but cats go somewhere – Gemma, grade 4

I think dogs are better than cats because they play with you more, however dogs can wake you up in the morning when they bark early – Ciaran, grade 3

I think dogs are better than cats because they play with you more often than cats do – Chloe, grade 3

Personally, I think dogs are better than cats because they play with you and they help people who are blind and they are more protective – Amber, grade 4

I really liked your persuasive text and I liked how you used “on the other hand”. Another word you can use to link two points of view is “conversely” – Joe, grade 3

I like dogs better because they can run fast and they make you fit. On the other hand dogs poo a lot and they wake you up – Rosie, grade 3

I think dogs are better than cats because dogs can protect you from intruders – Ben, grade 3

I think dogs are better than cats because cats always sit there and usually if you have a big house, you can’t find them, but dogs follow you around and you can go outside to play with them. On the other hand, sometimes you’re trying to read a book and dogs might try to bite it! – Nicholas, grade 4

• May 4th, 2012 at 10:41 pm      Reply Miss Dickson Says:

Dear middle s students,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog. You have given us some great advice for writing persuasive texts especially in regards to connecting ideas.
      From Miss Dickson

2. April 30th, 2012 at 9:05 pm      Reply Room 17 Pinehill School Says:

Wow – your persuasive texts are amazing!! We had a vote and we agreed that dogs are better than cats (15/20). We think you have all come up with some fantastic points to convince us to get a dog or a cat!
    Setareh says – I like dogs better than cats because when a stranger comes it will bark and you will know that a stranger is there.
    Ciara says – I like dogs too because they have a good sense of smell and can help us find our way.
    Mrs Martel says – I like cats better than dogs because dogs smell yukky and my cats love to cuddle me. (I am definately a cat person!!)

• May 4th, 2012 at 10:52 pm      Reply Miss Dickson Says:

Dear Room 17,

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog. We also voted on how many people in our class like dogs better than cats. 18 students like dogs while 7 students prefer cats.

Personally I have always loved both cats and dogs. When I was young I had a gorgeous burmese cat called Ebony. She loved to curl up asleep on my lap. Cats are more independent. Ebony would always come to me when she wanted affection and a pat but other times she would choose to hide away from everyone.

These days I have two Labrador dogs Riley and Roley who follow me around wherever I go and excitedly wag their tail when I get home from work.

No matter whether you prefer dogs or cats they bring great joy to our lives.

From Miss Dickson

3. May 1st, 2012 at 9:38 am      Reply Ria Says:

I love these persuasive texts I really agree that dogs are better than cats
    Ria
    Appleton
    Class 4

• May 14th, 2012 at 2:31 am      Reply brigitte Says:

Hi Ria,

Thank you for your comment. We really liked it.

I agree with you. I think dogs are way better than cats but I am a animal lover so I love all animals but especially dogs.

From Brigitte 🙂

4. May 1st, 2012 at 9:39 am      Reply Martha Says:

These Persuasive texts are wonderful. I agree that dogs are better than cats! Well done you did a fantastic job!

From Martha
    Appleton primary, England

5. May 1st, 2012 at 9:43 am      Reply Mrs Barker Says:

These are very persuasive arguments, well done! Despite the quality of the pro-cat writing I have to go with the “dogs are better” camp. I think it’s because dogs actually love and appreciate their owners, whereas cats are only affectionate when they want something. Cats also leave some rather gruesome presents on the door mat in the morning!
    Mrs Barker
    Appleton Primary school, England

• May 4th, 2012 at 10:59 pm      Reply Miss Dickson Says:

Dear Mrs Barker,
      Thank you for yor comment. The students in 2/3D enjoyed writing about this topic. I Agee with you about the gruesome presents cats sometimes bring to you. On the other hand Stephanie believed this was a good reason that cats are better than dogs because the always bring you presents!
      From Miss Dickson

6. May 1st, 2012 at 9:46 am      Reply Archie Says:

I think it was good how you did it.
    It was a good description but maybe you could talk about the good points of dogs next time.
    Archie calls for 4 Appton

7. May 1st, 2012 at 9:47 am      Reply katie Says:

:)well done, I like how you chose dogs not cats.

class 4 katie

8. May 1st, 2012 at 9:48 am      Reply Mimi Says:

Well done
    I really enjoyed reading these. They are all brilliant

From Mimi

Appleton class 4

9. May 2nd, 2012 at 8:00 am      Reply Zoe Liwicki Says:

🙂 I love the reasons you gave for why you like a dog better than a cat or a cat better than a cat.
    🙁 Maybe write a bit more in your text.

From Zoe

10. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:33 pm      Reply daniel t Says:

I think cats are better than dogs
    because cats are warm and and fluffy and cute. 🙂 😉 10/10

From Daniel T
    Point View School, Auckland

11. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:36 pm      Reply Bailey liu Says:

I loved how you had lots of information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GREAT WORK! 10/10. I like dogs better because they’re smart!!!!!!!

12. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:39 pm      Reply keshav Says:

Your stories were awesome. I like dogs best. My dog is 3 years old and his name is Blake.
    From Keshav,
    Point View School. Auckland

13. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:40 pm      Reply Hao & Trisan Says:

Dear Theresa,

I also think cats are better because like what you said, they don’t bark, get dirty and don’t bite. Well Done!

Hao and Trisan.
    Point View School, Auckland

14. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:41 pm      Reply Vivian Says:

Dear Brigette,

I think dogs are better because you can train them to roll and sit. Dogs are also very cuddly.

From Vivian.
    Point View School, Auckland

15. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:42 pm      Reply Angelique Says:

Dear brigette

I agree with you because i love dogs too because I like how they can play tricks

from Angelique
    Point View School, Auckland

16. May 2nd, 2012 at 11:44 pm      Reply Alisha Says:

I really like how you had a lot of detail in your writing. I agree that dogs are better than cats.
    from Alisha, Point View School, Auckland NZ

17. May 3rd, 2012 at 7:59 am      Reply Mabel, Appleton Class 4 Says:

Well done! You have persuaded me to like cats 🙂 (I already liked dogs)
    Maybe next time write a bit more?
    Mabel Appleton class 4

18. May 3rd, 2012 at 8:31 am      Reply Alex White Says:

cool work 🙂 🙂 🙂

Alex

oxford, appleton

• May 4th, 2012 at 12:23 am      Reply monica Says:

I think cats are better then dogs because cats clean themselves and dogs drool. Cats bury their poo and dogs poo anywhere and the owner has to pick it up.

19. May 3rd, 2012 at 10:40 pm      Reply Marie Dickson Says:

These arguments are all very convincing. I think both dogs and cats make great pets. Cats seem more independent and dogs take more work but they both make people happy.

20. May 4th, 2012 at 2:09 pm      Reply george Says:

Really good writing but I like dogs more because they are more cuddy.
    from appleton school class 4

21. May 8th, 2012 at 12:55 am      Reply Atara Says:

I think dogs are better than cats.
    I love dogs. I’ve always liked dogs.
    I think dogs are better than cats.

22. May 29th, 2012 at 5:13 am      Reply john, class of 2010 Says:

I love my dog it is so fun to play with him.
    Dogs are better!