Excursion to Scienceworks

May3

On Monday 30th April the students in Year 2/3D went on an excursion to Scienceworks.

Our Inquiry this term is called ‘Captains of our planet’. We are trying to find out why we should care for our Earth.

We went to Scienceworks to find out more about the Earth, moon and sun. First we had play lunch then we went to the Earth, moon and sun show. Here we discovered that shadows can help us tell the time of the day. If it is early in the morning or late in the afternoon the shadow will be long. If it is at noon the shadow will be short.

We learnt that 1.3 million earths would fit into the sun whereas four moons would fit in the earth.

After the show we had general viewing time and explored the Sportsworks and House Secrets exhibitions. We had a great time.

Finally we went to the planetarium to watch the movie Tilt and we talked about the stars and constellations in the night sky. We learnt that if the earth was not tilted all the seasons would be crazy.

Everyone loved our session in the planetarium and are looking forward to finding out more about Earth and everything around it throughout the term.

By Elisa, Marcus, Jacob P and Brigitte.

Check out our slideshow below

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Another digital slideshow by Smilebox

Have you ever been to Scienceworks? What was your favourite part?
What facts do you know about the Earth, Moon and Sun?

“Excursion to Scienceworks”

1. May 3rd, 2012 at 10:45 pm      Reply Marie Dickson Says:

This was a very exciting day for you and makes me want to visit Scienceworks.
    I hope you enjoy learning about our earth.

2. May 3rd, 2012 at 11:23 pm      Reply sarah Says:

looks like you had alot of fun.
    too bad i missed out 🙁
    It was funny when you stuck your head through a hole
    of fruit.
    It sounded like alot of fun. I wish I was there.

From Sarah

3. May 4th, 2012 at 12:30 am      Reply Ataraf Says:

I think going to Scienceworks was really fun.
    Learning about the sun, moon and earth.
    hope you had a fun time at Scienceworks.

From Atara

4. May 4th, 2012 at 12:32 am      Reply kess Says:

I hope you all had a fantastic time at Scienceworks. I loved scienceworks and the planetarium. My favourite part of the day was the viewing games and the planetarium. my favourite games were the house secrets, the lazer dodge, the 3D soccer, the athletics run, the wheelchair game and the wall climbing but all the other games were fun too.

from Kes

5. May 4th, 2012 at 12:34 am      Reply monica Says:

I liked every thing we did. I think scienceworks was very fun

6. May 4th, 2012 at 12:35 am      Reply Sophiem Says:

Dear 2/3D,
    At Scienceworks the thing I enjoyed the best was the wheelchair race and the making toast.

From Sophie

7. May 4th, 2012 at 12:42 am      Reply jacobi Says:

Hi 2/3D it was so fun at Scienceworks 🙂

8. May 4th, 2012 at 12:49 am      Reply gemma Says:

I had a great time a scienceworks. I liked the sport games and other diffrent games. I had a great time

from gemma

9. May 4th, 2012 at 1:47 am      Reply Jean Hino Says:

The Scienceworks looks like a fun and educational place. It is great that your class got to go. So many amazing experiences and so much to learn. There is a science center not too far from our school that the 3rd grade goes to. My class is looking forward to going to an aquarium next week.
    Mrs. Hino

• May 4th, 2012 at 11:07 pm      Reply adickson Says:

Dear Mrs Hino,
      Thank you for your comment. The children loved their excursion to Scienceworks. The highlight was going to the planetarium. I hope you have a great day at the aquarium. I wonder what the highlight from your excursion will be?
      From Miss Dickson

10. May 5th, 2012 at 8:33 am      Reply chiarai Says:

Hi 2\3D,
    I loved loved scienceworks. I liked when some people went in the fruit, there was a lot of yummy fruit there. I liked when we watched the movie. It was cool. I also liked the planetarium where the guy got his red light and pointed to some stars and he made some pictures out of the stars. My favorite part of scienceworks was when we went to the game thing and then I did the running race.
    from Chiara

11. May 5th, 2012 at 11:11 am      Reply Mrs Cosgrave Says:

Hi Miss Dickson and 2/3D
    I really enjoyed reading about your trip to science works and all the things you learnt about space. I have a grade 3/4 class and we are going to Scienceworks in a couple of weeks. We hope that our trip will help answer lots of our wonderings for our topic “Lost in Space ”
    X Mrs Cosgrave

• May 8th, 2012 at 12:36 am      Reply jacobi Says:

Hi Mrs Cosgrave,

Thank you for commenting on our blog. We hope your blog is going well.

From Jacob I

12. May 6th, 2012 at 9:32 am      Reply jacobi Says:

Hi
    it was so nice at Scienceworks. We had snack as soon as we got there. There were so many birds!
    When we went inside for general viewing we got to do so many things.There were so many places you could go. We got to go to a sports area where we had to do races and wheelchair races. We had to throw a basketball into a hoop. It was so cool.
    Then we went to the planetarium. Webhad to lean back on a big chair. Then we watched the movie TILT. After a man called David showed us how to make pictures out of stars.
    Then we went on our way back to school.
    It was such a good game.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

13. May 7th, 2012 at 2:55 am      Reply Room 17 Pinehill School Says:

Wow – you are a gorgeous looking lot aren’t you!! We thought your summary and your photos make it look like a fantastic place to visit. Maybe if we come to Australia we could go there too!!

Ewan – I liked the running bit (I wonder if I would win).
    Setareh – I wish I could have come with you too, it looks like there is lots of stuff to play with. I would like to put my head through the fruit.
    Yu-Hyeon – I liked the sports. I liked the slideshow, especially the music.
    Ji-Ho – I would like to try the 3D soccer.
    Laura – What a nice trip you had. I would like to have a go in the wheelchairs.
    Rion – I would like to put my head through the fruit – it looks fun!
    Viki – I wish I could go there – it looks like lots of fun.
    Jahnvi – I liked it when you put your head through the fruit!
    David – I would like to do the kayaking.
    Joshua – I have stuck my head through the fruit there too! It was funny.
    Ciara – I liked the giant things – like the giant washing machine and the giant dress. I liked the rocket and butterfly on your slideshow.
    Catrina – I liked the big couch. I would like to sit on it with my friends.
    Iona – the 3D soccer looks cool.

14. May 7th, 2012 at 10:25 am      Reply Mrs Cosgrave Says:

Hi Miss Dickson
    We loved reading about your excursion . It made us excited about our trip to science works in a couple of weeks. Maybe you can see some of our photos and read the stories of our adventure from our blog
    From Mrs Cosgrave and 34DC

• May 8th, 2012 at 12:46 am      Reply Elisa Says:

Hi Mrs Cosgrave and 3/4DC

I had so much fun in Scienceworks. My favourite thing was the laser dodge.

From Elisa

• May 9th, 2012 at 12:44 pm      Reply adickson Says:

Hi 3/4DC,
      I am sure you are going to love your excursion to Scienceworks for your inquiry topic. Are you going to the planetarium too? The planetarium was a highlight for many of the students in my grade. Their other favourite thing was to have general viewing time in the sports works gallery, house secrets and laser activities. I haven’t been to Scienceworks for many years. The last time I visited Scienceworks I was teaching Year 3/4 at St. Thomas’. We woud love to visit your blog and find out what was your favourite part of scienceworks.
      Enjoy discovering more about space.
      Best Wishes from Miss Dickson and 2/3D

15. May 8th, 2012 at 12:54 am      Reply monica Says:

I had lots of fun at scienceworks. I really like when we play with all the toys. I hope you really liked scienceworks too.
    From Monica

16. May 9th, 2012 at 12:00 am      Reply Ross Mannell (Team 100WC) Says:

Hello 2/3 Class,

From the photos in the Smilebox presentation, I can see the excursion to Scienceworks was brilliant. There were so many activities to experience and even a planetarium so you could learn about the stars. As a science graduate, I know I would have fun in a place like Scienceworks.

One thing I was wondering was, what were the strange pieces of fruit in the middle of the fruit bowl? 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

17. May 21st, 2012 at 7:03 am      Reply lrennison Says:

Hi Miss Dickson,

Thanks so much for visiting our blog! We will need to compare notes after we have been to Scienceworks!! From all of the comments left here, it looks like it will be a really fun day out for us.

Hope all is going well for you!

From Mrs Rennison

18. May 25th, 2012 at 12:12 am      Reply isabella Says:

I loved our trip to science works. It was so fun.
    i realy liked the planetarium and i also liked all of the looking around.:)

19. May 28th, 2012 at 5:09 am      Reply kateb4 Says:

Hi Miss Dickson and 2/3D,
    I really miss you Miss Dickson, just so you know its Kate, you taught me in grade 2 at your old school.
    We went to Scienceworks too, it was so cool. Did you enjoy the movie? What was your favourite part?
    Kate.

• May 28th, 2012 at 9:14 am      Reply adickson Says:

Hi Kate!
      Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog. I really miss everyone at st. Thomas’ too, especially all the students I taught over the years. I really enjoyed the movie at the planetarium and being shown all the stars and constellations on the roof. How cool was those chairs. I must admit though I was getting dizzy when the man kept moving the screen around.
      Best wishes from Miss Dickson

20. May 28th, 2012 at 5:19 am      Reply LaraW Says:

Hi Miss Dickson,
    I really really like your blog it is super cool. I also love your video about scienceworks! Good job on that video. Love that trip you did.
    what date did you go?
    From Lara 3/4LR [ from Miss Dicksons Old School !]

21. May 29th, 2012 at 4:50 am      Reply Emily, 34LR Says:

Hi Miss Dickson,
    my name is Emily and I am new this year. I heard that you left 2 years ago. We went to Sciencework a few days ago! I agree that the Planetarium seats are cool as well!

22. August 8th, 2012 at 10:44 am      Reply Sophie Says:

I thought Science Works was really groovy. I have been there lots of times and my favourite part is the Planetarium. You kids look like you had alot of fun.

From Sophie’s Dad.

23. August 10th, 2012 at 5:04 am      Reply Sophie's Grandfather Says:

When I went to Scienceworks as a parent helper I was looking after 3 young children. We all had a terrific time.
    From Sophie’s Grandfather

24. August 24th, 2012 at 12:02 am      Reply Kes,Marcus and Justin Says:

science works was really good? Marcus’ favourite thing was the planetarium and Marcus’ worst thing was nothing. Justin’s favorite thing was the sportsworks and the planetarium and justin’s worst part was nothing. Kes’ favourite thing was the sportsworks and the planetarium and Kes’ worst part was nothing. All together we had great fun.