Kids Learning Together

A 3/4 Class Blog

Our Marvellous Moon

May30

The Moon is the brightest object in the night sky, but it does not give out any light itself. It shines only because its surface reflects sunlight. One half of the Moon is always lit by the sun, but as it travels round the Earth, different amounts of the sunlit side can be seen. These are called the phases of the Moon.

The Moon is 384,400 kilometres from the Earth. Once every month, the Moon orbits the Earth. Each orbit takes 27.3 days. It spins around once on its axis in exactly the same time, so only one side of the Moon’s surface can be seen.

The Moon has no atmosphere and its surface is simply dust, pitted with craters created by meteorites smashing into it early in its history. On the Moon’s surface are large, dark patches called seas because that is what people once believed they were. They are actually lava flows from ancient volcanoes. One side of the Moon is always turned away from the Earth and is called its far side. This is because the Moon spins round on its axis at eaxactly the same speed that it orbits the Earth.

The students created their own Moon artwork. Click on the Voice thread link below to see our amazing artwork and listen to our facts about the moon.

What facts do you know about the moon?

by posted under Uncategorized | 20 Comments »    

“Our Marvellous Moon”

1. May 31st, 2012 at 12:12 pm      Reply Mrs. Fulton Says:

Hi Miss Dickson and class.
    It is great to see your information about the moon and also your fantastic art. We went to Scienceworks two weeks ago and learnt many new things and also has lots of fun. We saw ‘Tilt’ at the Planetarium.
    3/4PF

• June 7th, 2012 at 4:45 am      Reply isabella Says:

Hi Mrs Fulton
      thank you for visiting our blog. I hope you liked it
      and i hope your trip to Scienceworks was fun too

2. May 31st, 2012 at 10:40 pm      Reply Mrs Dickson Says:

2/3D, You have taught me so much about the moon. I loved your art work.
    Thank you. Keep up your good work.
    Marie Dickson

• June 7th, 2012 at 5:03 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Dear Mrs Dickson,
      Thank you for your comment. I am very glad to hear that we taught you some facts about the moon from us.
      Thank you for liking our artwork. I am very proud of it.

Theresa

3. June 6th, 2012 at 8:14 am      Reply chiarai Says:

Hi,
    I have learnt lots about the moon and I enjoyed teaching my family about it too.
    My favorite planet is Mars because it is a bit like Earth. And I also like it because i get lots of facts about Mars.
    From chiara

4. June 6th, 2012 at 8:25 am      Reply Alessia Says:

Hey,

You kids know A LOT about the moon i don’t even know alot!

Science Works was SOO MUCH FUN.

See ya Bye

Alessia (Chiara I sister)

5. June 7th, 2012 at 4:36 am      Reply jacobi Says:

Hi,

i have learnt heaps about the planets and solar system. it has been so fun. we have done so many things like make pictures of the moon and write reports about our planet.
    my planet is pluto. I have to research pluto and make a power point at school. we will compare our planet to the earth

:)from jacobi

6. June 7th, 2012 at 4:40 am      Reply lachland Says:

HI 2/3D
    I like your moon drawings. I think they are awesome
    from lachlan

7. June 7th, 2012 at 4:59 am      Reply kess Says:

Hi 2/3D

I’ve learnt alot about the moon in the last few weeks. I loved it when we did those arts where we got to make a piture of space where we used the tin foil to make the moon and chalk for the stars and then we got to sprinkle the glitter on our fantastic art work. if you want to see them there next to our classroom. it was so much fun.

From KES

8. June 7th, 2012 at 5:03 am      Reply marcus and amrith Says:

Hi 2/3D
    We think all these facts are very interesting. Our moon has lots of craters. The moon has no light of its own it reflects light from the sun. The apollo 11 the rocket took off from Kennedy space centre. It went 25000 kilometers fast then the rocket seperated the space craft so neil Armstrong ,michael collins and buzz aldrin went to the moon. mission control talked to the astronauts on the rocket. finally they got to the moon. They first checked the rocket to see if it was ready for an emergency take off. Neil Armstrong said ”that’s one small step for man one giant leap for man kind” then they experimented the moon. there’s no air on the moon.
    the moon is a mysterious place to be.
    from Amrith and Marcus

9. June 7th, 2012 at 1:26 pm      Reply Karen Dowling Says:

Hello 2/3D. I was in grade 4 when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. We all gathered in the school hall and watched the moon landing on a little black and white TV. It was a fuzzy image but we were very excited!

• June 14th, 2012 at 12:15 am      Reply iasbella Says:

To Karen,
      we have been learning about the moon and all of the planets in our solar system.
      From Isabella, Stephanie, and Monica

• June 14th, 2012 at 12:24 am      Reply Brigitte and Ellie and zara Says:

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your commet, we really liked it. We hope you learnt some facts about the moon.

From Brigitte and Ellie and Zara.

• June 14th, 2012 at 12:53 am      Reply Elisa Says:

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your comment. We had fun learning lots about the Moon. We also liked learning about the constellations in the sky and the stars. I read the story about when the Apollo 11 landed on the moon. It is really amazing to think that a man stepped on the moon. Even when I was only reading it I felt really excited.

From Elisa

10. June 19th, 2012 at 9:11 am      Reply Grade 34DC Says:

Hi 2/3D
    Thanks for your facts about the moon . We are still enquiring about Space and learning new things everyday. We loved your moon pictures. I wonder what we would really see up in space ?
    We did some dry pastel pictures also the other day, they were of van Gogh’s “spectacular” stars.
    Grade3/4 Dc at St Thomas’

11. August 3rd, 2012 at 11:58 am      Reply Olivia Says:

Hi 2/3D,

I really enjoyed looking at your moon fact pictures I wish I could have done one of those pictures. Keep up the great work.

From Olivia (Brigitte’s sister)

12. August 5th, 2012 at 8:45 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hello 2/3D

Listening to the comments made by the students about our moon was very informative. It makes me want to learn more about the moon. The class really did some good research on the moon. Well done class on your efforts.

Sophie’s dad.

13. August 7th, 2012 at 12:56 am      Reply lachland Says:

hi 2/3d

i think your moon work looks fantastic from lachlan

14. August 7th, 2012 at 11:11 am      Reply Zara's Dad Says:

Hi,

This is Zara’s dad!

Hope you are enjoying learning about the moon.

I was in the same year at school when the first man walked on the moon and remember watching it on TV as it happened. The first man on the moon was Neil Armstrong.

Because there is no wind on the moon, his footsteps are still there till this day.

Wouldn’t it be fun to walk on the moon???

Zara’s Dad Nick

15. August 7th, 2012 at 12:00 pm      Reply Zara's Stepmum Says:

Hi 2/3D,

Learning about the moon sounds like lots of fun.

Zara’s dad and I went to NASA in Cape Canaveral when we were in the US and saw the space suits they wore when they walked on the moon and even got to see a piece of moon rock that they bought back from one on their trips there. It was pretty cool!!!!

Have fun!!!
    Sam