Kids Learning Together

A 3/4 Class Blog

Our Plant Experiments

June11

This term our Inquiry has been looking at ‘How do we care for our Earth?‘ Students in Year 2/3D have been investigating what elements plants need to survive. We planted radish seeds. Some of our students are involved in a light experiment while others are involved in a water experiment. Below are photos of students planting their seeds.

It has now been 10 days and our radish seeds have begun to sprout. Check out their growth and our reflections below:
Plant Experiments

How long do you think it will take for our radishes to grow?
Which experiment do you predict will grow the best?
What have you learnt about growing plants?

by posted under Uncategorized | 14 Comments »    

“Our Plant Experiments”

1. June 11th, 2012 at 1:44 pm      Reply Ross Mannell Says:

Dear 2/3 Class,

Having studied some botany at university, I know how fascinating plants can be. I was fascinated by your experiments.

Aine, Gabe and Stephanie – When planting seeds, sometimes seeds will fail to germinate (grow) no matter how much we care for them. As plants start to grow while still underground, most seeds should grow but I would expect only the ones with water and sunlight would thrive (grow well). What did you find?

Sarah, Zara and Jacob P – Given time and care, plants will grow. Did you know when we buy seeds they have expiry dates just like food? If seeds are too old, they won’t grow although some seeds last longer than others.

Theresa, Kes and Sophie – It sounds as though you all have “green thumbs”. I always liked that saying for people who can grow plants easily.

Monica, Gemma and Ellie – It seems you all have been able to care for your radish seedlings very well. I can see in the photo they have grown long.

Brigitte, Justin and Jacob I – I think you have made great choices for your radish seedlings. They looked healthy in the photo.

Sebastian and Miss Dickson – I think you have discovered something important about the colour of plants. The green in plants comes from chlorophyll. Plants use chlorophyll to soak up sunlight and help produce energy to grow. When left in a dark place, the chlorophyll isn’t active and the plants look yellowish. What might happen if they are now placed in sunlight?

Louisa, Atara and Amrith – It’s obvious your plants have been in a good position because they look to be growing well.

Chiara, Alexsi and Lachlan – I like the idea of trying rainwater instead of tap water. I have the idea rain gathers nitrogen from the air as it falls. This might help plants to grow more than tap water with less nitrogen. I am interested to know if they grow better with rainwater.

Isabella, Elisa and Marcus – Spring water seems an interesting choice. I suspect water from springs would tend to have extra chemicals taken in as it passes through the ground. Perhaps some of the chemical might help the plants grow.

Well done, everyone. I found your plant experiments and results very interesting.
    @RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• June 14th, 2012 at 12:17 am      Reply Gemma and chiara and Elisa Says:

Hi Ross,
      Thank you for your comment. We had a great time planting our plants. All of our plants have grown and we are very Proud of our plants.

from Gemma, Chiara and Elisa

• June 14th, 2012 at 2:22 am      Reply amrith and justin Says:

Hi Ross
      Thank you for commenting on our plants. Our plants have grown really well. we are all excited. Also your comments are very interesting.
      From Amrith and Justin

2. June 14th, 2012 at 12:09 am      Reply iasbella Says:

To Ross
    Thank you for your plant comments.
    We hope you liked them and hope you learnt alot about them
    from Isabella and Monica

3. June 14th, 2012 at 12:12 am      Reply theresa and sarah Says:

Dear Ross,
    Thank you for your comment. We did not know that seeds have expiry dates just like food.
    I like the way you describe Theresa’s plant as “green thumbs”.

From Theresa and Sarah 😀

4. June 14th, 2012 at 12:18 am      Reply Brigitte and Ellie Says:

Dear Ross,

Thank you for your comments. we really enjoiyed reading your comments. We hope you learnt about how to grow Radishes.

From Brigitte and Ellie:)

5. June 14th, 2012 at 12:57 am      Reply jacobi+lachlan Says:

Hi Ross,
    Thanks for commenting on our blog. Itnhas been so interesting watching our plants grow. We have been watering them and caring for them.
    Is your class growing any type of plants?
    From Jacob and Lachlan

6. June 14th, 2012 at 11:58 am      Reply Ross Mannell Says:

Hello 2/3 Class,

I was very pleased to see all of you had taken the time to answer my comment. As a retired teacher, I no longer have a class of my own but I am still involved with schools through a Parents and Citizens group and in producing DVDs for schools and community groups. I am typing this comment after returning from filming a Band Camp performance involving 14 primary and 2 high schools. My weekend will be spent working on the DVD of their show.

In answer to Jacob and Lachlan, when I did have classes, we did grow plants. I can remember in one class we grew bean sprouts and in another, mushrooms. The best part about that was we could eat what was grown. My local school, the one where I was last a full time teacher, has a small school garden where they grow vegetables. Helping plants to grow is not only interesting, it gives us a better understanding of what plants need to grow strong.

Thank you for sharing your interesting post about plants. Science has always been an interest of mine. 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

7. June 17th, 2012 at 10:13 pm      Reply Mrs Dickson Says:

Once again 2/3D it is wonderful to see your very interesting work.
    You have explored such a great variety of inquiry this year and shared so much of your knowledge.
    Marie Dickson

8. June 20th, 2012 at 12:08 am      Reply Room 17 Pinehill School Says:

Wow – you have done an amazing job of sprouting your seeds! We were not so clever with our seeds – I think we watered them too much! We loved your slideshow with the photos and comments of what you have done. Great job!

• June 22nd, 2012 at 4:44 am      Reply Kes,Marcus and Justin Says:

Hi Room 17

Thankyou for leaving a comment. We think our plants are doing very well. I think your comment is brilliant, we loved it.

from Kes, Justin and Marcus

9. June 22nd, 2012 at 4:58 am      Reply elisa Says:

Hi Room 17
    Thanks for saying we were smart with our plants.
    I chose to water my plant spring water.

From Elisa

10. June 27th, 2012 at 7:30 am      Reply Monica Says:

Hi 2/3D,

Aren’t we having a fun time planting the radish seeds and watching them grow. My Radish seeds are growing very well.

From Monica.

11. August 7th, 2012 at 5:32 pm      Reply Grace Says:

Dear class 2/3D,

Your radishes look amazing!! Can you teach me how to grow some? I think I have a black thumb, my plants don’t grow as strong as yours. I even tried talking to them. I’m starting to think only corns have ears to hear me. 🙂 Maybe I will try corn next year. Great job on your project, keep up the great work!

Love ,
    Grace
    (Theresa’s Auntie)
    USA