Our Science Incursion on the Digestive System

August14

On Monday 6th August 2/3D went to an incursion to learn more about the Digestive System. Jacinta from Monash University Science centre lead us through the activities. We were all feeling excited to explore the Digestive System in further detail.

First we looked at how our tongue has different taste buds and can detect if something is sweet, sour, bitter or salty. Jacinta gave us all a jelly bean. We had to put it in the middle of our tongue and see how long it takes to identify the flavour. Then we went into small groups and tasted four mystery flavours. They were salt water (salty), coffee (bitter), sugar and water (sweet) and vinegar (sour). Some of the taste tests were disgusting!

Next we saw a cow’s tongue and everyone touched it (with a glove on). The cow’s tongue was really big and it had sharp spikes on the end of the tongue to help it rip and eat the grass. Then we saw a sheep’s stomach. On the outside the sheep’s stomach looked like coral. It was white in colour. It smelt a little and looked like a spongy bag.

We used a glad bag to create a stomach. We put some bread inside with a little bit of water and had to mush it up just like our stomach does. Jacinta used our food in the stomach and had it travel through the small and large intestine. Then she made it into human waste.

We investigated the small intestine and large intestine. Did you know an adult’s small intestine is 7 metres long if you were to uncoil it?

Overall we learnt a lot about the digestive system and had fun.

What facts do you know about the Human Body?
What was your favourite part of the incursion?

“Our Science Incursion on the Digestive System”

1. August 14th, 2012 at 2:00 pm      Reply Caroline (Louisa's mum) Says:

The Human Body is indeed God’s greatest invention.

2/3D, I hope you enjoy learning about all the different parts and their functionalities and purposes.

2. August 14th, 2012 at 9:37 pm      Reply chiarai Says:

Dear 2/3D,

I was sick so i didn’t go school that day. But i hope you had a fantasic day. And jelly beans not fair. And some peole say you get to taste test some foods and some drinks like coffee. i hope you had awesome time. Next time i am going Monash University. I hope you had a great time 2/3D!!!
    From chiara

• August 17th, 2012 at 11:17 pm      Reply sarah Says:

Hi Chiara,

I was away that day too 🙁
      but i saw the slide show at school and at home.
      It looked like lots of fun. The next time we have something like that at school ,
      I for sure will try to go. 🙂

from sarah

3. August 15th, 2012 at 1:42 am      Reply stephanie Says:

sounds like fun! 🙂
    Steph (Monica’s friend)

4. August 15th, 2012 at 1:52 am      Reply Evelyn Says:

how exciting, that sounds like fun!
    -Evelyn (Monica’s friend) 🙂

5. August 15th, 2012 at 6:23 am      Reply gemma Says:

I think your Blog is amazing you incursion looked really fun i wish i could do that

From Gemma’s Sister 🙂 🙂 🙂

6. August 15th, 2012 at 6:30 am      Reply gemma Says:

Hi, 2/3D

In year 1 I did this kind of inquiry! You are going to have so much fun.
    F.Y.I cool pictures!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

7. August 15th, 2012 at 7:44 am      Reply chiarai. chiara's mum Says:

I hope you had fun.

from rylee. chiara’s family friend

8. August 15th, 2012 at 8:25 am      Reply amrith Says:

Hi 2/3d
    it was great touching the cows tongue and the sheeps stomach. it felt half soft and half hard. it was intresting putting the jelly beans in the middle of your tongue and identify the taste

9. August 15th, 2012 at 8:54 am      Reply isabella Says:

i wish that i was there to touch the cows tongue and the sheeps stomach
    from (Isabellas sister)

10. August 15th, 2012 at 9:35 am      Reply Monica Fazzino Says:

hi 2/3d
    it looks like you had a fantasist time at the incursion.
    i hope you had a brilliant time

from Monica

11. August 15th, 2012 at 11:17 am      Reply Max Fazzino Says:

hi 2/3d
    my brother was looking at the picture. He wished he was there too – he thought it was really cool
    hope you had a great time because I really did – I learn’t so much
    from max and Monica

12. August 15th, 2012 at 11:24 am      Reply Carmela Fazzino Says:

Your incursion sounds like a lot of fun – how cool it would be to see a cow’s tongue and sheep stomach – awesome.
    Did you know that if you see a vanilla bean you automatically think it tastes sweet because we often associate it with sweet foods BUT if you actually taste the vanilla bean itself it isn’t sweet at all !!!
    Great topic you are studying at the moment – it is really interesting how our senses work together and then how differently things are when we focus on one sense at a time.

Great work 2/3 D hope you are really enjoying this – I am certainly enjoying hearing all about it from Monica

Carmela (Monica’s mum)

13. August 15th, 2012 at 11:37 am      Reply Louisa Says:

hi 2/3D,
    Hope you had a great time!! I liked your pictures.The cows tongue looked big!! How long did it take for you to identify the jelly beans taste? I think it would be very fast.

14. August 15th, 2012 at 9:33 pm      Reply Joe (Gabe's Dad) Says:

It looked like you had a lot of fun in your incursion. How many jelly bean flavors did you guess correctly?

Gee – that cow tongue looked big – imagine getting licked by that!!

Keep on having fun when you are learning.

From

Joe (Gabe’s Dad).

15. August 15th, 2012 at 9:39 pm      Reply Mikayla (Gabe's Sis) Says:

How was your incursion? What did the sheep stomach smell like?

For taste Prep T changed the flavor of Twisties. My favourite flavor was cheeseburger because they were delicious!!!

See you at school

Mikayla (Gabe’s sis)

16. August 15th, 2012 at 10:01 pm      Reply ameliap Says:

2/3 your up to 1012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    visitors
    from amelia

17. August 16th, 2012 at 11:53 pm      Reply Miss Dickson Says:

2/3D you are learning so many new things. To be able to see and touch parts of the body
    is a great experience. Something I hope you will never forget.
    You have had very interesting incursions this year.

18. August 17th, 2012 at 8:41 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi,
    I loved Your video,It was AMMMMMMAAAZZIINNGG!!.I Liked The Cow tounge.
    From Sophies Brother.

• August 31st, 2012 at 11:44 am      Reply Theresat Says:

Hi Alex,
      Thank you for your your comment.
      The cow tongue was very yucky! The sheep’s stomach was very smelly. I enjoyed feeling both of them with gloves on!

From Theresa

19. August 19th, 2012 at 12:20 am      Reply Alessia Says:

I wish i was at your incursion i was sick 🙁

hope you had fun

20. August 21st, 2012 at 6:53 am      Reply Ellies mum Says:

It sounds like you had fun, the cow’s tongue sounds interesting and dangerous the sheep’s stomach sounds pretty (I bet its Not)
    Ellie’s Mum

21. August 29th, 2012 at 6:17 am      Reply Mrs Page Says:

Hi Everyone in 3/4 D,
    I think you are so lucky to be learning about the Human Body. It is an amazing system and scientists are continuing to research and find out new information to help us stay healthy.
    You are doing great work,
    From Mrs Page

22. August 30th, 2012 at 11:46 am      Reply Lisa Says:

There might be some doctors in the making in your class Monica

Lisa- Monica’s auntie

23. August 30th, 2012 at 11:48 am      Reply Maria Says:

Well done for touching the cow’s tongue. I don’t think I would have liked to touch it 🙂

Maria -Monica’s Grandmother

24. August 30th, 2012 at 12:10 pm      Reply Belinda Sorbello Says:

Wow!!! I don’t remember doing anything exciting as this when I was in school!!!
    Looking forward to hearing all about it from Monica 🙂

Belinda ( Monica’s very funny cousin)

25. August 31st, 2012 at 2:25 am      Reply isabella Says:

i realy enjoyed going on the brain incursion.
    i had fun my favourite thing was tasting the diffrent drinks.
    i also liked a little bit touching the cows tongue and the sheeps stomach.
    i learnt that there is 4 different types of taste buds.
    from isabella

26. August 31st, 2012 at 11:25 am      Reply Uyen Says:

Your kids are fantastic! Look at all things you have learned this year so far: the digestive system, the solar system, the brain…can’t wait to hear what you are learning next. Well done

Theresa’s mum