Celebrating Book Week

August24

Book Week runs from the 18th – 24th August. It is Australia’s longest running children’s festival and has been happening since 1945. Each year, many schools and public libraries from all over Australia spend a week celebrating Australian authors and illustrators. This year the theme is Champions Read. On Thursday we had a dress up day. Students had the choice to either come dressed as a champion or a character from a book. Check out our fantastic costumes below:

We have been reading many of the books nominated for Picture Book of the Year. The 2012 winners have been announced. The winner is A bus called Heaven by Bob Graham. There are also two honour books and these are Flood by Jackie French and Bruce Whatley and The Dream of the Thylacine by Margaret Wild and Ron Brooks. We recommend you read these fantastic books.

What was your favourite 2012 shortlisted book?
Do you have a favourite book? Why is it your favourite?

“Celebrating Book Week”

1. August 24th, 2012 at 9:33 pm      Reply Alessia Says:

Hope you all had fun on book week i was A chamipion of Kobe Bryant!

from Alessia Chiara’s sister

2. August 24th, 2012 at 9:36 pm      Reply Alessia Says:

my favourite book is Hunger games by suzzane collins and catching fire
    !!!!!!

from Alessia

3. August 27th, 2012 at 6:07 am      Reply gemma Says:

I dressed up as myself because I am a champion and so are you. I wore my wildcats basketball uniform.
    I like the Floods. I wish that book won because loved the pictures they really showed feelings. My favorite book is “Its me god Margret” By Judy Blume. I just finished it. It was great! I really enjoyed book week!

Happy Reading

Sabrina Gemma’s sister!

4. August 27th, 2012 at 6:28 am      Reply gemma Says:

I like all your clothes that you wore. they looked amazing i hope you had a great time dressing up.

From Gemma’s Grandpa πŸ™‚

5. August 27th, 2012 at 6:34 am      Reply gemma Says:

I loved every thing you were it shows that you can all dress up and be a champion and shows all your medals that you have achieved.

Fro Gemma’s Dad πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

6. August 27th, 2012 at 10:20 am      Reply John Fazzino Says:

My favourite book is “The Crystal Cave” by Mary Stewart. The novel is a retelling of the story of King Arthur and Merlin. The novel is set in Britain just after the departure of the Romans. Merlin is just 6 and begins to develop his magical powers. It is the first of three books that describe how Merlin guides Arthur to become a great King.

7. August 28th, 2012 at 1:46 am      Reply jacobi Says:

for book week i dressed up as a champion for basketball it was so fun because we got to see what people look like dressed up i brought in 4 medals and a trophie

from jacobi

8. August 28th, 2012 at 1:50 am      Reply brigitte Says:

I dressed up as a swimming and chess champion. We got to see lots of people dressed up.

it was really fun. My favourite book was the thylacine and the floods it is sad that there are no more thylacines and that those two books did not win.

From brigitte

9. August 28th, 2012 at 1:55 am      Reply sarah Says:

hi 2/3D,

My favourite book is well i have heaps but the one that is really interesting is
    Alice Mirada, all of them are so interesting.

from sarah πŸ™‚

• August 29th, 2012 at 7:03 am      Reply gemma Says:

Hi Sarah
      I also have lots of books that I like. But one of the best is dance academy I think it is very interesting
      i had a good time on book week

from gemma

10. August 28th, 2012 at 10:46 am      Reply gemma Says:

One of my favourite books is To Kill a Mockingbird. My favourite author is Jane Austen – I have read all her novels and enjoyed them immensely especially ‘Emma’.

Atticus, the main character in ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ was a champion. As a lawyer he defended an African American when no-one else would because he believed that we are all created equal no matter what the colour of our skin is and everyone deserves a fair trial.

From Gemma’s Mum πŸ™‚

11. August 28th, 2012 at 10:48 am      Reply gemma Says:

I love all your clothes that you came as. i had a great time

from gemma πŸ™‚

12. August 28th, 2012 at 11:42 am      Reply Monica Says:

My favourite book is dork diary I like it because it funny

From Monica

13. August 28th, 2012 at 12:16 pm      Reply gemma Says:

My favourite book at school was ‘The Chocolate War’.

My favourite sports at school were, football, tennis & soccer. Rene Kink was a champion footballer so if I had come to your dress up day I would have worn my Collingwood jumper with Kink’s number 36 – Go Pies!!!!

From Gemma’s Dad

14. August 28th, 2012 at 9:19 pm      Reply justin's mum Says:

You all had wonderful costumes for book week. I dressed up as Alisa Camplin the skier at my school. She is a champion as she won a gold medal and she raised awarenss for babies born with heart conditions.
    Justins mum

15. August 29th, 2012 at 5:05 am      Reply isabella Says:

i realy enjoyed book week.
    i dressed up as lauren jackson i was number 15
    i brought in my dads basketball medal it was gold
    i also wore a australian basketball uniform
    from isabella

16. August 29th, 2012 at 5:09 am      Reply sophiem Says:

Book Week was fun, but it was over later. I wish it lasted LONGER. It was so fun reading books.
    From Sophie.

• August 29th, 2012 at 7:10 am      Reply gemma Says:

Hi Sophie,
      I wish book week would be longer too because I love dressing up but you need you also think to about the theme. Which is important.

Sabrina

17. August 29th, 2012 at 6:59 am      Reply gemma Says:

I love book week. one of my favourite books are dance Academy I like it because it is very Interesting because it has some sad stuff and some really funny parts. On book day i came as a netball champion and I came with my medal
    I had a really great time it was really fun. I also like reading lots of books in my class I learned lots about book week.

From Gemma πŸ™‚

18. August 29th, 2012 at 7:05 am      Reply gemma Says:

I hope you had fun on book week did you ?

from gemma

19. August 29th, 2012 at 7:08 am      Reply gemma Says:

I have a lot of favourite books. My favourite author is Judy Blume. She has great books
    Got to go

Sabrina

20. August 29th, 2012 at 7:17 am      Reply gemma Says:

Dear 2/3D
    Your blog is amazing. you all looked good at book week
    keep up the great work πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

From Gemma’s grandpa

21. August 29th, 2012 at 7:21 am      Reply gemma Says:

I think that you all looked good. Books are really good to read. what book do you like ?
    there is lots to choose from

From Gemma’s sister πŸ™‚

22. August 29th, 2012 at 7:25 am      Reply gemma Says:

I think you all did really well. it was a great day to bring in and show what you have won in the future.
    you all did a great Job. keep up the great work πŸ™‚

from gemma’s dad

23. August 30th, 2012 at 11:18 am      Reply Carmela Fazzino Says:

Book Week… this was a favourite of mine when I was at school. Looks like you guys had lots of fun this year and the outfits look amazing. The stories you have been reading sound really good. I must get down to my local library in the school holidays and have a look at the ones you have recommended. Isn’t reading fun ? It allows you to go to all sorts of wonderful places. I hope you all continue reading and exploring the wonderful world of writing and reading. Maybe one day I will be reading a story you have written and published – I will look forward to that !

Carmela (Monica’s Mum)

24. August 30th, 2012 at 11:56 am      Reply Lisa Says:

Great costumes!! Book week is a really fun time. I remember dressing up as Noddy from the Noddy and Big Ears stories when I was at primary school.
    My favourite book is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It set in Germany during WWII
    Lisa- Monica’s Auntie

25. August 30th, 2012 at 12:00 pm      Reply Maria Says:

We would really like to read A Bus Called Heaven with you Monica.

Maria & Frank – Monica’s Grandparents

26. August 30th, 2012 at 3:13 pm      Reply Stephen Sorbello Says:

Ohhhhhhh cool i just started reading a novel recently too! I haven’t read a novel since I was at school! Its made me realize how much I miss letting my imagination run wild!! So kids dont ever stop! I usually read books on design, gardens and fire departments. Great video clip! You all look like you are having a ball and I noticed you had a visitor from the Fire Department. I’m very jealous, wish I could’ve been there too!

Monica’s LiL BiG cousin Steve πŸ˜‰

27. August 30th, 2012 at 3:25 pm      Reply Saveria Sorbello Says:

What a great idea!!! Wish I had a book week when I was at school! My favourite books are books on history and autobiographies.

Monica’s Zia Sue

28. August 30th, 2012 at 10:46 pm      Reply Eugene Tuohy Says:

It’s good to see book week in action. It might help Aine to expand her taste in reading genres.
    From
    Dad

29. August 31st, 2012 at 10:44 am      Reply Theresa Says:

My favourite author is Enid Blyton. She writes mythical books that are fun to read.
    From Theresa

30. August 31st, 2012 at 11:19 am      Reply Theresa's Sister Says:

Hi everone! I hope you all had fun on book week! My favourite books of ALL time are the Harry Potter books. I love magic! Have any of you read Harry Potter?

• September 1st, 2012 at 2:38 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Hi Mary- An,
      I also like Harry Potter Books. A few of my favourite professers are: Professer Snape, professer McGonagal, and professer Dumbledore.

From Theresa πŸ˜›

31. September 2nd, 2012 at 11:53 pm      Reply Marie Dickson Says:

2/3D. I love to read and of course I have a great selection of
    my favorite books. I also visit my local library often. I am so pleased you like to read and you enjoyed dressing up and celebrating
    Book Week.