A Scientist visits 3/4D

May22

This term our inquiry unit is ‘What is Science?’ On Friday 17th May Caitlin’s Aunty came to talk to our grade. She is a Biologist with a major in pathology. Aodin went to Monash University for four years of studying before becoming a Scientist. In her first year of uni Aodin told us they study the four main types of Science – Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Geology. Biology was her favourite so in her second year she studied Cell Biology and Microbiology before specialising in Pathology in her final two years. We asked her many questions about her job as a Scientist and here are some of her answers.

What does your job involve?
I work for a Bio-technology company that creates instruments that go to pathology labs. These instruments can detect if a patient has cancer. I get to do experiments almost every day. I have to test different chemicals that are used to diagnose cancer.

What is your favourite part of your job?
I like finding out new things. I like it when I get to cut up the organs; a whole liver or heart. I have to cut it up and put it into containers ready for testing.

What equipment do you use in your job?
I have to wear a lab coat, glasses, mask and boots. We use a scapel, which is a sharp knife to cut the organs and samples.

Did you always want to be a Scientist?
Yes ever since I was your age. I loved science and always found discovering things to be interesting. I was always really curious about the body so I wanted to do Biology.

What inspired you to become a scientist?
I like learning things. I had a fun teacher at your age (8-9 years old) that liked to do experiments.

Aodin showed us her lab coat. She brought in samples of tonsils and livers to show us.

What did you learn from Aodin’s visit?
Do you have an interest in Science?
What type of Science are you interested in learning more about?

“A Scientist visits 3/4D”

1. May 22nd, 2013 at 11:23 pm      Reply mariab Says:

well what I learnt about Aodin`s visit is that you could get your tonsils taken out.
    I also never knew that the doctor could take parts of your insides to test and still not die.
    love Maria.

2. May 22nd, 2013 at 11:23 pm      Reply Elisa Says:

I would like to learn about astronomy.
    From Elisa

3. May 22nd, 2013 at 11:26 pm      Reply rosep Says:

Hi
    Thankyou Aodin for coming to our class and showing us awesome things.
    Happy Days From Rose

4. May 22nd, 2013 at 11:29 pm      Reply Zoen Says:

I love science, it is my favourite thing because I love to test things out.
    Best wishes Zoe

5. May 22nd, 2013 at 11:31 pm      Reply Caitlin Says:

To 3/4D,
    I could not believe that my aunty actually said yes to coming to talk to our class.
    I was so excited that she came. when she came I learnt what she actually does which was cuting open the body parts. Pathology is the topic that i really want to choose because i just really want to learn more about it, and i do have an interest in science.
    Best wishes
    Caitlin

6. May 22nd, 2013 at 11:57 pm      Reply isabella Says:

I learnt that you can take some organs out of peoples body and they dont even need them.
    I have a interest in marine biology.
    I am interested in learning about marine biology

From Isabella

7. May 22nd, 2013 at 11:57 pm      Reply pennyk Says:

I like chemistry my mum does chemistry at her work
    she makes car parts.
    From Penny

8. June 6th, 2013 at 3:16 pm      Reply ashlees Says:

When im older i want to be a scientest
    or a zookeeper.
    Can’t wait to come back.
    From Ashlee.

• June 9th, 2013 at 6:08 am      Reply Miss Dickson Says:

Dear Ashlee,

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog. We hope you are having a fantastic time overseas. We were all so excited to receive your postcard from Paris.
      We miss you and are looking forward to you returning to school.

Best wishes from Miss Dickson and 3/4D