Kids Learning Together

A 3/4 Class Blog

Whole School Excursion

May26

On Thursday 30th May all students in Year Prep to Year 6 went on a whole school excursion to see the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and Ian Potter Art Gallery.

You need to write a reflection about your experiences on our excursion. Remember good writers describe events clearly with lots of detail. Think about your senses to help you describe the day. Your blog comment should be written like a letter with a greeting, content and a closing.

by posted under Uncategorized | 22 Comments »    

“Whole School Excursion”

1. May 30th, 2013 at 6:41 am      Reply Isabella Says:

Dear 3/4D

My favourite part of the excursion was every part of it because it was all fun. I liked the Melbourne symphony orchestra because they played all different types of music. I also liked the Ian potter gallery because it had a lot of art in it and it was very fun. And I liked every thing there that we did the street we walked down with the Graffiti was fun to because we saw all the things they painted with a spray can and all the drawings. I also the screen world.
    Over all I had a great day. 🙂 🙂 🙂

From Isabella

2. May 30th, 2013 at 8:47 am      Reply geelong jacks Says:

i think that the excursion was fun and i learnt heaps.

by jack

3. May 30th, 2013 at 9:17 pm      Reply Patrick Says:

Hi rest of 3/4D,

I didn’t like the bus trip but I really liked the rest. In the Town Hall for the MSO I would rate the MSO part 8/10 because it was really good but I think a too short programme.

Inside the Ian Potter gallery was fun seeing heaps of art with a guide so I am rating of 8 and a half out of ten.

In ACMI (Australian Centre for the Moving Image) was really fun with all the games and high tech stuff. 🙂 🙂 So I am giving ACMI 9/10.

Down Hoisier Lane was really cool with all the art work. I am giving it 6/10
    So you can see ACMI was my favourite thing.

Bye Patrick

4. June 2nd, 2013 at 2:57 am      Reply Tiana Says:

Hi 3/4D,

I had a great day and I can not pick a favourite part there is to many to choose from:)
    On the whole school excursion we went to see the orchestra and I learnt how the orchestra plays the music together and how they do it and at the Art Gallery I learnt how they do all Different painting and dot Paintings.

I had a great day in the city and I would love to go again. I had so much fun from the Art gallery and the Orchestra.

From Tiana
    PS I really really Want to go to the city again and look at the orchestra and art Gallery:-)

5. June 2nd, 2013 at 7:09 am      Reply xavier Says:

Hi 3/4D,
    On the 30th of May we went on a whole school excursion. We needed to be at school by 8:10 because the bus left at 8:30. I had a bit of a rush to get to school on time, well it wasn’t that bad. I had some cereal and a hot chocolate for breakfast. We were put into groups, I went with Miss Dickson, when we got into the bus, Riley and I got seats at the back of the bus. It took 1 hour to get to the city. When we got to the city Miss Dickson counted us to make sure we were not lost.

It took about 15 minutes to walk to the Town Hall. When we were inside the Town Hall we went up some stairs and came through a door. I saw an amazing room, it looked like a room from a fantasy world. We were up on a small overhang looking down at the orchestra. There where about 25 people in the orchestra and we had to wait at least 10 minutes until the orchestra started, but I think the wait was worth it. When the orchestra started playing I felt like I was in “The Voice” and the Holy Family students were the music judges.
    I loved Mambo, it was cool, it sounded like an old fashion movie robbery and an old fashion police chase.

When the orchestra finished, we were meant to have snack, but we had to be at the art gallery at 11:30. It was annoying because I was so hungry. So we walked to the art gallery and because the other classes got stuck at the lights, we had time for snack. I had a lot for snack so I just ate the killer python. We continued and walked past a Hollywood sign, like the sign in the Hollywood Hills. My dad would know all about that because he went to America.
    When we got to the art gallery, we put our bags in lockers, so we wouldn’t accidently knock the artwork over! The first painting we saw and my favourite painting was “The Pioneer”. We saw Tiki Spirits sculptures, and a display of how expensive meat is getting. When our tour of the art gallery finished we got some little masks that we could colour in at a table. I didn’t get to finish mine and I didn’t even bring it home.

Then we walked to Federation Square, we had a half an hour break for lunch. I finished everything I had to eat including the Mini M&Ms that I didn’t get to eat for snack. After lunch we were going to Screen World. Before we went into Screen World we sat down at a rectangle shaped rest place. I think we had our photo taken. A girl from Screen World explained the rules and then we went inside. We got to wander about a bit, but only if we had our partner with us. My favourite thing at Screen World was the place where we acted like we were shot. We did quite a lot of filming activities because we liked it a lot! The most amazing thing was when we were in a room with clay people. The clay people were spinning around in a circle when the lights were on, but when the lights went off it looked like they were doing “stop motion” animation in real life, without it being put together with pictures.

After half an hour in Screen World we walked to a graffiti alleyway. There were a lot of cool pictures, it was very enjoyable.

My favourite thing of the Holy Family Big Day Out was………EVERYTHING! I enjoyed it, it was the second best day of the year so far (my birthday was the best)!
    From Xavier

6. June 2nd, 2013 at 8:21 pm      Reply justin Says:

Dear 3/4D
    on thursday we went on a excursion to Melbourne sympthony orchestra and the art gallery . The best part for me was the start of the show because it had a good rythmn and beat. In Hossier lane there were cool pictuers and graffti and in the art gallery there some amazing pictuers like 5 pm Collins street . I also had had a great time at screen world . There were video games and something called the Zoetron it was super cool.

I had a great time .
    from Justin

7. June 3rd, 2013 at 7:06 am      Reply Maria Says:

hi 3/4D
    I think that the excursion was sensational and I learnt so much. the orchestra was lovely and I could hear all the different instruments like the strings, the percussion,the wind and the brass. i enjoyed all the pieces of music as well. the gallery was fantastic and I loved all the art my favorite paintings were the picture of the shire horse, the picture of the dog with the man the decorated chairs and the picture of the parakeets. so what were the ones that you liked best? also screen world was fascinating and I have no idea how they made the little round thing with the animals on it animated. I am going to give the orchestra 10/10, the art gallery 10/10 and screen world 6/10. bye now love Maria

8. June 3rd, 2013 at 7:48 am      Reply oscarh Says:

Hi 3/4d
    I had a great day I liked the orchestra and hoisier lane was really cool.
    I also liked the art gallery my favourite part was the orchestra.

I had so much fun I hope we can go again

from oscar

9. June 3rd, 2013 at 10:24 am      Reply Gemma Says:

Dear 3/4D

On the 30th of May we went on a whole school excursion to the City. We all had to be at school at 8:10 because the bus was leaving at 8:30. I had to get up early to go to school.When we got on the bus we drove for 45 minutes but then we got to the City.

First we went to the orchestra. It was fun and amazing and I wonder how they do that. It was so good. After that we were in a rush so we only got a little snack but then we went to the Ian Potter Art Gallery. We saw lots of beautiful pictures. They were great!

Later we had our lunch at Federation Square. My lunch was nice. We then went to screen worlds. It had computer games and movies and lots more fun games. We took a picture at The HOLLYWOOD sign it was so much fun – I loved it! Then we went to Hoisier lane. It was cool – they did cool art work on the wall. It was time to go back to school.

Over all it was a great day 🙂

Best Wishes Gemma 🙂 🙂 🙂

10. June 3rd, 2013 at 10:30 am      Reply jenniferp Says:

dear 3/4d
    I like the graffiti!
    from jennifer

11. June 4th, 2013 at 8:29 am      Reply Atara Says:

Hi 3/4D

At the start of are day we had to be at school at 8:15 because we were going to the city! It took us 45 min to get there, but when we did get there we went to see the melbourne sympthony orchestra it was amazing. All the songs were great but kelelah was my favouite.
    After the orchestra we went to the art gallary we saw a pioneer, pattern and a aboriginal pantings also a model. Then we had lunch at Federation Square. Eveeryone was starving. After lunch we went to screen world we saw lots of games there was a cool one called zoetron that was my favourite.
    Then we went to Hoisier lane there was lots of graffiti it was so cool. I loved when we went to HollyWood sign we took lots of pics it was awesome!
    Well I guess that was the end of our day I love th city I cant wait to go again.

From Atara 🙂

12. June 4th, 2013 at 8:38 am      Reply zoe n Says:

On Thursday the 30th of May the whole school went on an excursion.
    First we went to listen to the amazing orchestra, then we went to the wonderful art gallery and after that we went to the brilliant screen world.

I liked them all but my favorite part was listening to the orchestra.

I had a lot of fun at the excursion.

By Zoe

13. June 4th, 2013 at 9:13 am      Reply Caitlin Says:

to 3/4D,
    i loved the excursion to the city. it was really fun.

i loved the start of the orchestra when the two men played the drums really fast and it was also really funny when the orchestra was playing how one of the two men i was talking about before started rolling around in roller skates playing a drum.

I also loved walking around seeing all of the different things on the way to the art gallery. when we got to the art gallery we went and put all our bags in these lockers then lined up in different groups and walked around.

after the art gallery we went and had lunch at federation square

then we went to this ally way that was really cool and it was kinda famous, we saw lots of really cool things.

after that we went to the bus and went back to school.
    i had a really fun time on that day. my favourite time/place was the ally way and the art gallery.

From your class mate
    Caitlin

14. June 4th, 2013 at 10:08 am      Reply James D Says:

Dear Miss Dickson and 3/4D,

On Thursday 30th May, we had a whole school excursion to the City to see the MSO at the Town Hall. I think the bus trip was too long and it was raining and cold, but I really enjoyed talking to my friends whilst on the bus, so I didn’t get bored.

When we were in the Town Hall, the MSO concert didn’t start for a long time but when it started, the music was awesome. We got to sing “Kahlele” with our school and five other schools at the same time. The sound of the singing was really crisp and the seats were really comfortable. We also heard a song called Mambo which sounded like a police car chase. It was exciting! The funny thing is that I have a t-shirt that says Mambo on it, which is really weird. Outside it was raining and cold, but you couldn’t hear the rain nor feel the cold.

When we exited the Town Hall, all five other schools were leaving at the same time, so it was really annoying that I was really squished amongst them at times and all the kids were being loud.

We walked along the wet raining pathway past lots of traffic lights and I was getting soaked. We saw another school going in the opposite direction so I think that they were going to the Town Hall next. We walked to a big building with a little verandah and sat there for about 5 minutes, eating our snack. Lots of seagulls came and one of them came up to me and I even thought I was going to get pooped on! But I wasn’t. We left there and went to the Ian Potter Gallery at Fed Square. The art work we saw was all different from each other. For example, some of them were about the city, while some were about country, landscapes, people, animals, shapes and aboriginal people. There were even sculptures. One sculpture was a delicatessen and inside the window of it, was lots of weird meat, eg cow tongues and sheep brains. Gruesome! I really liked the shapes portrait with blobs of paint all over it. It was colourful.

Later we ate our lunch under a big glass square and there was lots of poles on the roof in Fed Square. Later we went to Screen World. It has lots of games and videos and inventions in multiple rooms. The big projector there was where you could play Mario Cart Wii. It was awesome and exciting to watch. I played a mind blowing game called Survival where you could collect stuff and build houses. Some of the inventions there were about 300 years old whilst some movies were still in black and white, but still incredible.

Then we went to Hosier Lane. It is a big alleyway where you are allowed to go and spray paint and make pictures on the wall. Even though it was still raining, no wind got in. There were even some rude pictures which we laughed at! Some of them were old pictures and we took photos of them.

Later, we had to walk back to our bus, again in the rain. We had to cross a very busy 4 lane street and we found out that under the Ian Potter Art Gallery, there was 12 railway lines before it was built on top of them. When we were at the bus, the rain stopped! I wished it could have stopped earlier.

On the way back Ale and I got to sit at the back of the bus. We felt very important. A bumpy ride home. When we got to our classroom we talked about how our day went and what to do for the art work homework. We then went home with lots of good memories of our (rainy) Art excursion.

from James D.

15. June 5th, 2013 at 9:16 am      Reply Zak Says:

Hi 3/4D
    On Thursday the 30th of May, Holy Family went to see the MSO (Melbourne Symphony Orchestra) as well as the sights at Federation Square then we finished with a trip to Hosier lane which is famous for it’s graffiti / street art. I liked the MSO the best because it was cool music. I was lucky enough that my Dad was able to come with me. I had a really great day.

From Zak:):)

16. June 5th, 2013 at 9:22 am      Reply Zak Says:

Hi 3/4D, this is Zak’s Dad here. I just wanted to say what a fantastic day I had last Thursday in the City with you all, it was great to go and see the MSO and Federation Square as well as the tour of the Australian history at the Ian Potter Museum. Lunch was fantastic eating it almost under the “Hollywood” sign. For me the best bit was Hosier lane with the fantastic drawings and graffiti.

Thanks for inviting me.

Paul

17. June 5th, 2013 at 9:34 am      Reply penny Says:

Hi 3/4D,
    At the mso it took a long time for everyone to sit down and stuff but it was worth it.
    At the mso ollie and and someone else did a great drum performance I enjoyed it alot
    I think everyone did.

The mso was in the city and I did not just enjoy the mso I enjoyed looking around the city.
    After the mso we went to the art gallery I saw some lovely paintings they were all great.

I had a great time in the city i enjoyed it alot.
    From Penny

18. June 6th, 2013 at 6:46 am      Reply James O Says:

Hi 3/4D
    What a wonderful day we all had we went to the mso it was great the art gallery was too i also liked going down the graffiti place it was lots of fun we had a great time

Best wishes James O

19. June 6th, 2013 at 7:18 am      Reply Elisa Says:

Hi 3/4D

Last Thursday we went on a whole school excursion and it was really really FUN!!

First we went to the town hall to watch the MSO concert. It was a really good concert and I think that everyone thought it really good too. The songs the MSO played sounded really good. The names of the songs are Kahlelee, Belero, Breaking Silence, Mambo, Summer, The Little Train and Bongo Fury.

After that, we went to the NGV to look at the art. The first piece we saw was “Collins Street at 5pm”. Then we saw “Shearing The Rams” and we talked about the men different jobs. after that we saw a model of a buliding.

Then we had some lunch. After lunch we went to ACMI (Australian Centre for the Moving Image) to see the things there. It was fun to play the games and to do all the things there. All the things there were very high tech.

At the end we went down Hosier lane to look at the graffiti there. It was all really cool things there and Miss Dickson took photos of us.

I absolutely had a great time and hope we can go back there soon.

From Elisa

20. June 6th, 2013 at 8:31 am      Reply Rose Says:

Dear Holy Family and Miss Dickson,

On the 31st of may the whole school of holy family went to the city of Melbourne Victoria and we all had a lovely day.the whole day was spent on the city it was amazing, the 5/6s went on the trian with the 5/6 teachers and mr wakeling our principal, the 3/4s and 1/2s and preps all went on the bus and I got the back with my friends, the 3/4 teachers went on the bus with the 3/4 student and same with the 1/2s and preps.

We ended up seeing four different things, the first part was the orchestra and then the Ian potter gallery after was the acmi screen world, the last thing was going to the graffiti pictures which was funny. Before my mum dropped me off at school she said I used to love going on excursions when I was in school.

It took an hour to get to the city because of all the freeways and traffic. We had to be at school by 8.10 so we could do the roll and get in our groups. I was with miss Dickson, xavier Riley Maria Atara Gemma and me .

We knew we were at the city as soon as we saw the Yarra river. It was so exciting. To start we all had to be at the Melbourne symphony orchestra , we were there for a while but it was worth it, because in music we watch a movie of the two British guys named Owen and ollie and they did a opening piece which was really nice called bongo furry. There was a composure called frailer trianer and I liked all of the pieces of music except for breaking silents.

After we had to walk for ever to get to Art gallery called the Ian potter gallery. The first painting we saw was a very famous Australian painting called the pioneer. We saw some tiki spirit sculptures they were cool. After all that we took lots of photos of our class of this sign that said Hollywood. we went to ACMI screen world and looked at all this awesome awesome things, there was this screen and you got to move around and the projector reflected to the screen and you would look like a monster I loved it.

The last thing was looking at the crafting arty graffiti but sadly we had to go back to school so I was so upset.

Happy days from rose
    Ps I hope all of you guys enjoyed and loved the day in the city

21. June 6th, 2013 at 9:30 pm      Reply toby Says:

Hi 3/4d i had a great day we all had to be at school at 8:10am flat i was in a rush but i still got there in time.
    Miss Dickson had to mark us of then she gave us our groups
    i was in zaks dads group then we left to the bus
    .i sat next to zaks dad on the way to the city it was fun it took us 1 hour to get to the city it didn’tt seem like it was 1 hour first we went to the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra my favourite song was kelalea.
    then we all had to walk to the art gallery my favourite painting was the dotted patten one.
    then we saw the 3 long story painting by fredrick mccubbin
    then we saw the sketch of willam barik. then we all saw the meme sprits and when we were in the art gallery. we saw the mcg when we got out of the art gallery we all had a snack
    then we were going to the bus .but we first we got to look at some really really cool paintings
    then we went to the bus. i sat next to oscar on the way back in the back we all played chinese whispers .
    from toby
    i hope all of you kids had fun.

22. October 22nd, 2013 at 6:29 am      Reply Rose Says:

Hi guys
    I had the best time of the week and so far so good
    For being one of my favourite excursions for all
    Of my five years at school.
    I would like to say thanks to mrs Mitchell and
    Mrs Boyle
    For organising it.
    From rose