Kids Learning Together

A 3/4 Class Blog

Raising money for Operation Christmas Child

September19

Our Term 3 Inquiry unit involves the middle school students investigating ‘How does money work?’
We have been looking at the following questions:
What skills can we use in order to manage money?
How is money used to access goods and services?
How do we determine the monetary value of a product or service?
Is money equitable? What can we do to contribute to inequity?
How do we earn money?

To utilise all the skills we have been learning in inquiry the middle school decided to hold a Market Day on Tuesday 17th September from 11am – 1pm. The students have chosen to raise money to support The Samaritan’s Purse “Operation Christmas Child 2013”. Every year Operation Christmas Child puts smiles on faces, bringing joy and hope to children in need with gift-filled shoe boxes lovingly packed by families, churches, schools and businesses throughout Australia and New Zealand. Today at school we watched a video showing how Operations Christmas Child brings joy to children around the world.

Below are two students reflections about Operation Christmas Child:

Operation Christmas Child means to me that other children have hope at Christmas. Although the boxes arrive early, it feels like Christmas for them. I feel good because for our Market Day we raised $1973. I also feel happy because we can change their lives forever. They would never forget it. If you fill a box with love, children will not be sad anymore. They care because people care about them. Although they do not know you, they will thank you from the bottom of their heart.
By Sophie M

Operation Christmas Child is very important because we have heaps of toys and they might have nothing. Just think of it. If we were those poor kids we would want toys. You should donate because if you were the poor kids you would be sad with no toys. That is how they feel. When those kids opened the shoe box, they were so happy. I feel so happy about those kids getting a present, maybe for the first time. Even if you donate one shoe box a child will be happy. Don’t let them be sad and forgotten, donate a box. Bring joy and happiness. It is a good cause. You could change their life. It will be a dream come true for them.
By James D

Why do you think it is important to help the charity Operation Christmas Child?

by posted under Uncategorized | 21 Comments »    

“Raising money for Operation Christmas Child”

1. September 19th, 2013 at 11:16 am      Reply Mrs Yore Says:

Fantastic reflections 3/4. Watching movies like, “Joy to the World,” quickly helps us to realise just how rich we are and how much we have. Good luck with your action.

We have been doing lots of fundraising, too. We are raising money for a playground for homeless students in the Philippines. Two of the students came to our school with their organisation. They did a short play about how they used to live on the streets and how badly people treated them. It made a big impact. We had a fair and raised money for them.

Great work,

Mrs Yore
    http://www.themiddlematters.blogspot.com

2. September 19th, 2013 at 10:50 pm      Reply Alessandro Says:

Operation Christmas Child is very important because it makes the sad poor people feel loved, happy with excitement and not forgotten.

I feel special for donating presents to the poor I feel like a good person changing their lives forever.

From Alessandro

3. September 19th, 2013 at 10:51 pm      Reply Atara Says:

Hi 3/4D

Operation christmas child means that children around the world get an amazing box full of love, joy and presents. This makes chilren feel loved and remembered. when I do this I will be making a differance!

From Atara

4. September 19th, 2013 at 10:54 pm      Reply Caitlin Says:

Dear 3/4D,
    To me it means that someone can enjoy the things that I enjoy without me being there!
    I feel really happy and excited. Happy because they get a time in their lives to also be happy and I feel like I am doing the right thing. I feel excited because I would be making a difference!

Best Wishes
    Caitlin

5. September 19th, 2013 at 10:56 pm      Reply Xavier Says:

Operation christmas child is absolutely spectacular. It gives hope to the poor. You pack a shoe box with gifts and they send it to the poor. To be a part of this it makes me feel very happy because it makes the poor happy.

6. September 19th, 2013 at 10:59 pm      Reply rosep Says:

Operation chrismas child means a lot to me because those young poor little boys and girls are stuck with no money, no valuables, no schools for education and food that will fill them up and clean fresh water.

When I found out that I was helping them out I was so happy. When I see those videos and see them upset I feellike they are trapped in a very, very smal cage and I am a free person.

Im happy that im changing their lives with just the power of a shoe box and some small gifts. It makes them so happy and they have big smiles on their little small sad faces.

7. September 19th, 2013 at 11:09 pm      Reply Elisa Says:

Hi 3/4D,
    Operation Christmas Child is important to me because giving presents to people (children) that don’t get presents because they have no money to buy things with is really special.
    Operation Christmas Child makes a brighter and happier future for less fortunate children.
    It helps them experience things that they don’t have.

From Elisa

8. September 19th, 2013 at 11:15 pm      Reply Penny Says:

Dear 3/4D,
    Operation christmas child means to me that I have to
    put love in a box and help a child in need. The person receiving
    the gift it makes him/her feel loved and very special.
    I can’t wait to help the poor and see how happy they
    are getting there gift. I’m glad for what i am going to do
    and I’m excited too. It’s fun but it also helps people.
    From Penny

9. September 19th, 2013 at 11:22 pm      Reply oscar Says:

It is important because it gives hope to the kids lives and they are not sad any more.
    They think someone cares about them.
    Now they are happier than ever.
    Some do not know that anyone loves them.
    It maks me so happy because someone is very happy in their life.

10. September 19th, 2013 at 11:24 pm      Reply Gemma Says:

Operation Christmas child means alot because I can make a difference to other peoples life.
    I feel happy when I can give someone something on the other side of the world. It is important because new things can come and help people that don’ t have that much. They are happy because other people are thinking about them and giving things to them. They are happy because at Christmas they get presentslike everyone else on the other side people pack good shoe boxes with nice goods.
    That makes other people happy.

From Gemma 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

11. September 19th, 2013 at 11:26 pm      Reply alison Says:

Operation Christmas child means to me that lots of wealthy people can help the poor
    kids in papa new Guinea and other poor places.
    It also makes me feel like l can help anyone I want.
    All the poor kids will feel hope, joy, and feel special because they are not forgotten. The power of that box that I feel will be amazing. I feel happy
    and good that at market day we raised $1973 dollars❗❗ for the poor kids who don’t
    have as much as us. It will be a dream come true for a little girl or boy

12. September 19th, 2013 at 11:43 pm      Reply Marie DIckson Says:

This is a fantastic charity to support. You are very caring children. Marie DIckson

13. September 20th, 2013 at 4:59 am      Reply James O Says:

Operation Christmas child

i think it is a great thing to do because when they get a present for Christmas they feel loved by someone they don’t Know.

What does it mean to me – that someone that i do not know gets something for Christmas so it is a great feeling when they get something from someone they don’t know

By James O

14. October 21st, 2013 at 7:30 am      Reply JamesD Says:

Hi 3/4 D
    Operation christmas child means to me that I have to put love in a box and help a child in need.It makes me feel like l can help anyone I want. I think it is also a good idea to put your photo inside the box so that the receiver can see what you look like.

From James D

15. October 22nd, 2013 at 5:02 am      Reply xavier Says:

hi 3/4 D
    doing it myself was a lot different then doing it in movie firstly you have much more fun secondly you feel good about doing it

from Xavier

16. October 22nd, 2013 at 5:24 am      Reply Gemma Says:

Hi 3/4D

Raising money can help alot of people the are in need or need help
    it would be good if all kids out there are happy everyone SHOULD help people that are POOR

From Gemma 🙂 🙂 <3

17. October 22nd, 2013 at 7:02 am      Reply JamesD Says:

Hi 3/4 D
    Operation christmas child IS GREAT. I think it is important to help the charity Operation Christmas Child because kids need to enjoy life not always working. If you donate a shoe box the children will fell happy and loved.

From James D

18. October 22nd, 2013 at 8:56 pm      Reply Tiana Says:

H 3/4D,
    I can’t believe that we raised more then thought well done to all the stall who were at market day and thanks to the parents to support us and helps us to raise so much.
    From tiana

19. October 23rd, 2013 at 10:44 am      Reply Elisa Says:

Hi 3/4D
    I think that Opperation Chirstmas child is a great way to give something to the poor chidren in other countries. It is a great organisation to support poor people.
    From Elisa