Inquiry Week 1 & 2 – How has Australia changed over time?

October24

On Monday the 7th of October we found out about our inquiry topic it was Australian History. Then we found out our essential question which was How Has Australia Changed Over Time? Then for our first activity we had to draw a map of Australia with as much detail as possible, using only what we already know. On Tuesday we made a mind map about all we knew about immigration we also watched a video about immigration and then added more detail to our mind map. On Thursday we watched a video about some people who immigrated. On Friday we looked at the mystery boxes about different periods in Australian history. We had to guess what the boxes were about and why they were important to Australia.

On Monday the 14th of October we did a carousel activity about the Aboriginal People before European settlement, with all four grades. On Tuesday we revisited the mystery boxes and ordered them from earliest to now. On Thursday we drew pictures of what we thought Australia looked like before European Settlement. On Friday we finished off our pictures and we shared them in groups. Some were put up on the IWB and the students had to explain their picture.

By Nicholas and Patrick

Below you will find some photos of the mystery box activity:

Mystery Boxes on PhotoPeach

Here are some photos of our drawings of what Australia might have looked like before European Settlement:
Drawings on PhotoPeach

“Inquiry Week 1 & 2 – How has Australia changed over time?”

1. October 25th, 2013 at 4:58 am      Reply Xavier Says:

hi 3/4 D
    the mystery boxes were good fun and i learnt a lot. my favorite mystery box was the gold rush one
    what was yours?
    from Xavier

2. October 25th, 2013 at 5:07 am      Reply Gemma Says:

I was happy about our new topic because we can learn new things and have
    fun and excited excursion and learn how people lived back then.

Best Wishes Gemma 🙂 🙂

3. October 25th, 2013 at 5:11 am      Reply Sabrina Says:

Looks like you have been finding out alot of things about Australia I did this topic and learned
    alot so I hope you all get a great experience like I did.

P.S LEARN ALOT

From Sabrina (Gemma’s Sister) 🙂 🙂

4. October 25th, 2013 at 7:09 am      Reply rosep Says:

hey guys
    this inquiry unit this term sounds good and is pretty fun so far.
    i would really like to learn a lot from this unit because Australia
    is where we all live and we need to know the history about our home land.
    from rose

5. October 25th, 2013 at 7:09 am      Reply Elisa Says:

Hi
    I liked doing the drawings. It was alot of fun.
    From Elisa

6. October 26th, 2013 at 10:05 pm      Reply Kevin Says:

Hello
    I really like the sound of this inquiry unit.
    It’s good because they live here and it’s
    Good to know the history about your own
    Country.
    From Kevin (roses dad)

7. October 27th, 2013 at 12:18 am      Reply mariab Says:

great pictures, I loved all of them
    you really put effort into them.

from Maria And her family.

8. October 28th, 2013 at 5:50 am      Reply Alison Says:

Dear 3/4D
    I enjoyed doing those drawings they were fun we did alot of cool things I learnt alot

From Gemma (Alison Friend)

9. October 28th, 2013 at 6:41 am      Reply Bethany (Ashlee's sister) Says:

Dear 3/4D,

Your pictures are amazing. I think you are all very good drawers. I think that is what Australia would have looked like when the aboriginals came to Australia.

From Bethany

10. October 28th, 2013 at 10:27 pm      Reply James D Says:

My favourite box was the gold panning box. It was really cool.

From James D

11. October 28th, 2013 at 10:32 pm      Reply Elisa Says:

Hi everyone
    The pictures look really nice and I can not pick a favourite picture.
    From Elisa

12. October 28th, 2013 at 10:34 pm      Reply Elisa Says:

Hi everyone
    The pictures look really nice and I can not pick a favourite picture. I hope you had fun learning about Australia.
    From Elisa

13. October 28th, 2013 at 10:35 pm      Reply Ashlee Says:

I loved draming that.Because you could draw what you
    saw in your imagination.

14. October 28th, 2013 at 10:40 pm      Reply Elisa Says:

Hi everyone
    The pictures look really nice and I can not pick a favourite picture. I really liked the mystery boxes and the things inside. I hope you had fun learning about Australia because I am.
    From Elisa

15. October 28th, 2013 at 10:42 pm      Reply James D Says:

Dear 3/4D,
    Your pictures are amazing. I think you are all great drawers. Amazing pictures. Great job.

From James D’s aunty

16. October 28th, 2013 at 10:45 pm      Reply Atara Says:

It was fun making a picture about how we think the aboriginals lived. In my picture it was set at the sea because the aboriginals catched there food and got there water from the sea. It was lots of fun!!!

From Atara

17. October 31st, 2013 at 8:27 pm      Reply Max Says:

Hello
    I like how you guys are learning about Australia and how it has changed over time.
    My dad has told me a lot about the bush and I have watched a lot of bush movies.
    From max (roses brother)

18. November 3rd, 2013 at 4:02 am      Reply maria Says:

the aboriginal history is very interesting and the pictures you have drawn are fantastic,
    we live near a creek where the wurundjeeri tribe used to live

from Yvonne (marias mum)

19. November 28th, 2013 at 10:29 am      Reply Robins Class - Year 2 - Lingwood Primary School Says:

Hello 3/4D

We are a Year 2 class in Norfolk, UK. We visited your blog as we are trying to visit as many blogs from far off locations as we can, as our topic this term is about airports and travel. What’s it like in Australia? How do you celebrate Christmas?

We have a blog at http://lpsmrslater2013.primaryblogger.co.uk . Please come and visit us if you get chance.

Bye for Now!