Kids Learning Together

A 3/4 Class Blog

Our Guest Speaker

October28

On the 24th of October 2013 Mrs Casley came to our class to talk about her immigration story. She came from Argentina and she came to Australia when she was 21 in 1983 and she has been in Australia for 30 years now.

Mrs Casley’s family came to Australia because the economy was bad in Argentina. In Argentina there main dance is the tango and there most popular sport is soccer and there food is mostly the same as Italian food. When Mrs Casley came to Australia she wasn’t used to the Quiet sound because in Argentina they could use the horn whenever they wanted and there was always lots of noise.

Thank you Mrs Casley for coming to our class to talk about your immigration story.

Where did your family come from?
What is your immigration story?

Post written by Isabella, Xavier and Zoe

by posted under Uncategorized | 20 Comments »    

“Our Guest Speaker”

1. October 28th, 2013 at 8:09 pm      Reply james o Says:

my family come from italy they left there country to be in a safe country

2. October 28th, 2013 at 10:20 pm      Reply Elisa Says:

Hi 3/4D
    I had alot of fun when Mrs Casley came to visit. There was alot of things that I learnt. My family came from New Zealand. My brother, sister and I were born in New Zealand. My parents were born in Malaysia and they lived there for most of their life.

From Elisa

3. October 28th, 2013 at 10:24 pm      Reply James D Says:

Hi 3/4D,
    It was really interesting having Mrs Casely coming in to talk to us. My family came from Italy. My parents came here on a boat.

4. October 28th, 2013 at 10:26 pm      Reply Gemma Says:

Dear 3/4D
    I enjoyed the guest speaker Mrs Casley’s story was very interesting I learnt how the lived in Argentina
    they have pretty much the same as Italy. She has been in Australia for 30 year a long time. I came from Italy and
    my grandparents were born there and come when they were 16 years of age. And they come because there was no work for there parents and the did NOT have that much money. They came and by Grandpa come from Malgrave and Grandma
    came from Clayton. They have been enjoying there time here in Australia.

From Gemma 🙂 🙂

5. October 28th, 2013 at 10:30 pm      Reply mariab Says:

hi 3/4D
    my family came from Scotland and some of my family came from Australia
    and Poland. we came here in 2006, and settled in Melbourne. it is very different to Scotland, because the weather
    is colder there and its hot here. and also the food some of the food I have never seen before. but now that I v’e lived in
    Australia for 7 years, I am getting used to it.

from maria

6. October 28th, 2013 at 10:30 pm      Reply xavier Says:

Hi 3/4 D
    it was very intresting i learnt a lot I will tell you my imograshon story and where i came from in the next post miss casly came from argentina her main dance is tango she said she wasent very good at it but she said her mum and dad where it was very fun

from xavier

7. October 28th, 2013 at 10:36 pm      Reply Tiana Says:

Hi 3/4D,
    My family is from italy and and they came to australia because the wanted better life and get a better job. My mum’s dad family all came by boat. when he came he was 15 and didn’t go to school because he needed money to buy a house, so he got a house in 1957. Then in 1957 he’s dad came and in 1958 he’s sister and mum came. i would love to go to italy one day and see where my family came from.
    I would love to hear your story,
    Tiana

8. October 28th, 2013 at 10:38 pm      Reply justin Says:

Dear 3/4D
    My family migrated from england my grandmar moved to austraila when she was only 18 she was excited but she did ot want to leave.
    fromm Justin

9. October 28th, 2013 at 10:38 pm      Reply xavier Says:

hi 3/4 D
    i came from london because of the war eric needham came to australia by boat just to say i think this is all true as far as in know the fats come out of a biogrofe my dad wrote so when he got to australia he got marred to a girl named violet but before that he played for the saints well i think that happend first but i go for the saints because he played for them then my dads dad was boren then wene he got mareid my dad was born then i was borne so that is how i am living

from xavier

10. October 28th, 2013 at 10:41 pm      Reply rosep Says:

hey guys
    i really enjoyed listening to mrs casley.
    i really liked the part when i got to have a go at doing the tango.
    my immergation story is from macodonia ireland germany and england.
    my imergration story started in the 1800s and in the 1900s.
    my granpa and grandma came from macodonia that used to a part of greece on my mums side of the family.
    on my dads side of the family from my grandma they came from england and ireland.
    my dads dads imergration country was germany.
    from rose

11. October 28th, 2013 at 10:47 pm      Reply James D Says:

Dear 3/4D,
    It must of bring really cool to have Mrs Casely coming in to talk to your class about here immigration story.
    Our family came here on a boat from Italy.

From James D’s Dad

12. October 28th, 2013 at 10:47 pm      Reply Patrick Says:

Hi 3/4D,
    My family came from England, Ireland, Sotland and Italy.
    Bye for now
    Patrick

13. October 28th, 2013 at 10:52 pm      Reply rosep Says:

hey guys
    looks like argentina is a really hot and good place for a holiday.
    mrs casley says that in the capital of argentina the longest road is there in the whole world.
    from rose

14. October 29th, 2013 at 9:03 am      Reply Rosemary Says:

Hello
    Wow looks like you learnt a lot from your guest speaker from Argentina.
    My family I regarded to Australia way back from England and Ireland
    From rosemary (roses grandma )

15. October 29th, 2013 at 9:23 am      Reply Marie DIckson Says:

My parents were both born in Australia but their parents were born in Ireland and England. I am a volunteer teacher at a Multicultural Centre in Box Hill and I have learnt many things from my students Immigration Stories.
    Marie Dickson

16. October 29th, 2013 at 9:35 am      Reply Treasa (Caitlin's mum) Says:

I am so impressed with everything that you are learning. It was great that Mrs Casely could come and speak to you. Caitlin’s grandmothers family all came from Ireland. I was the only one of my sisters born here in Australia. My mum decided that there were better opportunities for our education and future here in Australia! I hope you enjoy your excursion on Friday finding out more stories.

17. October 29th, 2013 at 10:13 am      Reply Monica (Caitlin's family friend) Says:

Wow! What a great way to learn about everyone’s history, I love finding out just how different everyone’s story is. My family comes from Holland, both my mum, and dad, and I still have both my Oma’s, who are in their 90’s, and they have some great stories about life growing up.

18. October 30th, 2013 at 12:39 am      Reply Mrs.Casley Says:

Hello 3/4D, it was my pleasure to talk to you all about my personal immigration experience. When I emigrated from Buenos Aires with my parents, younger brother and sister to Australia in 1982, we could never have dreamed about the difficulties that we needed to overcome; it wasn’t just selling the house, packing suitcases and flying for 32 hrs to get to Sydney, it was much more.
    Buenos Aires is a vibrant city of 15 million people, where restaurants and cinemas are opened until early hours of the morning, where you can see children playing in the suburban streets, people chatting in cafes and restaurants for hours after work,and people blowing the car hones trying to cope with the hectic traffic.

Leaving my grandparents, extended family and friends behind was a very difficult decision to make, but a obvious one due to the economical situation. A few days before we left, the inflation reached 1000 %, making it even harder for us to pay for our way here. It took us about 2 years to process the visa, we also needed to pass a health examination in the British hospital in Buenos Aires, before we could even apply for the visa.

The challenges we faced in adapting to this new way of living, the language barrier, and the cultural differences, took us a few years to overcome.

Australia is our home now and we are very grateful for the opportunity to come here, and in regards to my achievements I am grateful to have two beautiful Australian daughters, husband and recently a baby nephew.

You are welcome to ask me any questions, or how to speak Spanish, but in regards to dancing the Tango my parents are the experts:)

Thank you, Gracias!!! 🙂