The Pioneer by Frederick McCubbin

October29

Our Inquiry unit is looking at how Australia has changed over time. This week in reading we looked at Frederick McCubbin’s painting The Pioneer. Students discussed the people, objects and scenery they could see in each section of the painting. They discussed how they felt when looking at the painting.

After our class discussion students were asked to write the narrative for the three pictures. Below are some of their responses:

A long time ago my parents moved to a forest. It became their home. This was before I was born. My Mum said that on the first couple of days they were there she was really bored and that Dad was just unpacking and making fires. Then I was born!

Mum said that when I came along that she wasn’t bored any more. My Dad started to chop down trees. From my memories they made a house. Then they made a little village. Next (when I was older) I helped too and we even made a whole city.

After a while my parents got ill and died. I was really sad for a while. Every day I went there I looked sat their grade and prayed.
Written By Caitlin

We have just came to Australia. Dad thinks it is great. Mum doesn’t really like it. We are very poor and hungry and we don’t have a house to live in.

The next year I was born. The first couple of years dad was always outside chopping trees. When Dad chopped up enough trees we built a house.

I grew into a strong man. My parents died and suddenly everything became different.
Written by Zak

There was once a husband and wife that lived in the Australian bush. They were very sad because they had no children.

One day the wife gave birth to a little baby boy. He was very cute. The parents were very happy to have a child.

The boy worked very hard. He was a tall strong man. Then his parents became sick.

He tried everything he could to cure them but they died. So then onwards the boy would go and visit their grave everyday.

Written By Elisa

My Mum and Dad came to Australia. My mum did not want to come but over time she loved the landscape. I was born then. I grew up to be a hunter. Unfortunately my Dad fell and died so it was just my mum and I. When she died there where towns which turned into a city and it grew and grew. Written By Xavier

My Mum and Dad came here way before I was even born. My Mum wasn’t too happy moving. The years past and I was born and we cut some trees and built a house. Soon my parents died and our home turned into a big city. The trees weren’t like what they were before. There wasn’t much greenery. The city is great but I like how it was before too. Written By Atara

When my Husband and I came to Australia we were poor and unhappy. So we started clearing the trees. My husband John said everything was going to be alright. Soon we built a small cottage and soon after that we had a baby boy and we named him Eddy. When he was old enough Eddy began to learn how to build and hunt. We soon built a town and people came from everywhere around to live there. But sadly when Eddy was 28 John and I fell ill with pneumonia. Just before we passed away we said to Eddy “never give up. We may never see you have a family of your own but we’ll be there in your heart” and then we passed. Eddy buried us and put a cross down with our names on it and he prayed there every day, till he himself died. Written by Maria

What do you think is happening in the pictures?

Do you like Frederick McCubbin’s painting ‘The Pioneer’? Why / Why not?

“The Pioneer by Frederick McCubbin”

1. October 29th, 2013 at 8:38 am      Reply Kevin Says:

Hello
    That picture is really great and I like the look of it.
    I read all of the story’s and they all suited the picture.
    Great job
    From Kevin (roses dad)

2. October 29th, 2013 at 8:45 am      Reply Noel Says:

Hello
    I really like that picture by Frederick mcCubbin.
    I have seen it before at the gallery and it is great.
    Nice and creative story’s I like them.
    From noel (roses grandpa)

3. October 29th, 2013 at 8:57 am      Reply Rosemary Says:

Hello
    I do like that picture and I like it because it is one of the real good paintings.
    I think the picture is about two new pioneers that came to Australia and stayed for a few yares and had a child and made a house and then the two pioneers died and there son barred them were they used to live and wrote there names on a cross.
    From rosemary (roses grandma)

4. October 29th, 2013 at 9:11 am      Reply Max Says:

Hello
    I have never seen this painting before but I like it because it’s in the bush and it looks really good.
    This picture to me looks like years gone by from being a little girl to being a mother with a husband
    And a child.
    From max (roses brother)

5. October 29th, 2013 at 9:27 am      Reply Marie DIckson Says:

Fantastic stories 3/4D. I love Australian Art and you have really appreciated the work of Frederick McCubbin.

6. October 29th, 2013 at 9:31 am      Reply Treasa (Caitlin's mum) Says:

Awesome stories everyone! Love the differences and detail.

7. October 29th, 2013 at 9:37 am      Reply Natalie Says:

A lot of thought put into the writing. Great work
    Natalie (Caitlin’s friend)

8. October 29th, 2013 at 9:44 am      Reply Alex Says:

Very cool! (Caitlin family)

9. October 29th, 2013 at 9:48 am      Reply Ursula (caitlin's friend) Says:

Great stories folks, never looked at the painting like this before.

10. October 29th, 2013 at 10:00 am      Reply Sammy (Caitlin's friend) Says:

They were all a great read!!

11. October 29th, 2013 at 10:04 am      Reply keane Says:

Wonderful job guys. Stories are wonderful. Keane ( Caitlins uncle).

12. October 29th, 2013 at 10:07 am      Reply Annmarie (Caitlin's friend) Says:

Enjoyed reading the different interpretations from each child about the same pic.! Well done.

13. October 29th, 2013 at 10:27 am      Reply Pauline Caitlin's aunt Says:

I love your imagination and story telling Caitlin, good job

14. October 29th, 2013 at 10:48 am      Reply seana Says:

great picture and even better stories.. well done every1.. 🙂

seana (Caitlins cousin, Ireland)

15. October 29th, 2013 at 12:12 pm      Reply Kathy Says:

Great stories well done 🙂
    Caitlin’s friend Ireland

16. October 29th, 2013 at 8:02 pm      Reply Catherine Says:

Great narratives to go with a great painting! I first saw this painting when I was a little girl – it was on a tv ad for ‘kit-kats’. (Yum!) I’ve liked the painting ever since then and I always imagine a kit-kat wrapper hidden behind the log the man is sitting on in the middle painting!!
    From Miss D, Caitlin’s prep teacher

17. October 30th, 2013 at 1:56 am      Reply karina carlin Says:

Great stories of courage, endurance, hope….Caitlin’s family, Ireland

18. October 30th, 2013 at 2:58 am      Reply Aodin (Caitlin's Aunty) Says:

My favourite painting of all time. Love the narratives guys!

19. October 30th, 2013 at 4:58 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hello
    I like this painting because it tells a story of people settling and there progress in there lives
    I think there building a house having a baby and in the end someone died.
    From Sophie (roses mum)

20. October 30th, 2013 at 5:41 am      Reply Bea......Caitlin's friend Says:

Great story. Well done Caitlin.

21. October 30th, 2013 at 6:31 am      Reply Gemma Says:

very cool you guys did a great job!

From Gemma’s grandpa

22. October 30th, 2013 at 7:22 am      Reply ashlees Says:

Hi I think that the what is happening in the pictures is that the adults are settling in Australia and they have a baby boy and the boy grows up and ever since then he goes to his parents grave and say a little prayer and go down to the city to make a family of his own.

I like it because it is very creative and I’ve got a question why did Fredrick mccubbin paint that? and I also like it because of how good he is at painting and drawing a lot of parts on your body that are hard to draw and also because he didn`t give up because if he did we would never be commenting on the blog.
    bye

23. October 31st, 2013 at 7:55 am      Reply Gianna Says:

Love all your stories. Great work.

Great to see that blogging brings people from everwhere together, was excited to see Caitlyn (and James and Nicholas”) prep teacher leave a blog(happy memories).

From Gianna (JamesO mum)

24. November 3rd, 2013 at 3:58 am      Reply maria Says:

What a lovely painting which expresses so many things, loved your comment maria

from Yvonne (marias mum)

25. November 5th, 2013 at 9:25 am      Reply Jessica (Caitlin's friend) Says:

Loved the stories, well done

26. November 9th, 2013 at 10:41 am      Reply Abbey Says:

Hello
    I like all your story’s
    They sound great
    I really like that painting
    From abbey(roses cousin)

27. November 9th, 2013 at 10:43 am      Reply Vicki Says:

Hello
    Nice story’s they are very creative
    I like the art and the story that follows it
    Vicki (roses auntie)

28. November 10th, 2013 at 9:04 am      Reply Patrick Says:

The Pioneer is a great painting.
    If you go to the Ian Potter Gallery in Melbourne THE PIONEER is massive. It is a great Australian painting.
    Bye
    Patrick

29. April 1st, 2014 at 12:54 am      Reply junwoo Says:

I like soccer and inquiry and drawing
    From Junwoo

30. May 28th, 2016 at 2:19 pm      Reply bill simmons Says:

I have the 3 set of the pioneer etched on wood,i have probably had this set for about 20 years,on the back its says the pioneer by fred mccubbin 1904 with the numbers 1,2,and 3 for the order of etchings.i would like to know more about this set of 3 individual wood etchings. I do know he had a friend who done wood etchings at mt macedon