Harmony Day

March21

Harmony Day is a time when everyone celebrates all the different cultures that make Australia unique. It is on the 21st of March. This day is about respecting others and trying to make the world a better place to live in. Harmony Day is caring about other people’s culture and traditions. You can join in the celebrations by wearing orange.

Did you know 45% of Australians have been born overseas or their parents are from overseas. In 3/4D we have students from Vietnam, Germany, Korea, Italy, Greece, England, Ireland, Israel, Kenya, Ukraine and Australia.

This morning we started with a whole school Harmony Day Assembly. Students were given a Harmony Day sticker and a Bullying No Way wristband. We all sang a special song for Harmony Day called Tell me your story.

In class we watched a short video about Harmony Day and we chose a Harmony Day colouring in sheet to do.
Check out some of our artwork!

IMG_0860

IMG_0863

IMG_0865

IMG_0866

IMG_0930

IMG_0932

IMG_0935

At 12.45pm the students in year 2, 3 and 4 went to the oval to participate in some fun teamwork activities organised by our SRC reps. We did a hopping race, sack race, egg and spoon race and a three-legged race. The activities were really fun and everyone got to have a go. Some students were given certificates for supporting others in a positive way.

We had lunch together as a whole school to celebrate Harmony Day. Students all got an icy-pole.

Check out photos from our Harmony Day activities:

The 21st of March also marks Bullying No Way! Day. This is a day to take a stand together against bullying.
This reminds us to stand up against bullying behaviour.

What does Harmony Day mean to you? What was your favourite part of Harmony Day?

“Harmony Day”

1. March 21st, 2014 at 9:27 am      Reply Mrs Barwick Says:

3/4 D I am so impressed! What a great way to end the day. Thank you for sharing your
    learning. I am so glad that everyone worked together today and people took time out
    of our busy school routine to celebrate our cultural diversity and made a stand
    against bullying!

Mrs Barwick

2. March 22nd, 2014 at 2:34 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Hi 3/4D!
    I think Harmony day means celebrating all the different cultures in Australia and respecting them. I loved all the activities. I liked the three legged race the most. I was with Paige. I hope everyone had an awesome day.

Theresa 😀

3. March 23rd, 2014 at 3:10 am      Reply Gabe Says:

Harmony day is a very fun day I liked all the fun games we played.
    I had so much fun it was the best one since I have been at school

Gabe

4. March 23rd, 2014 at 10:56 pm      Reply Mr Wakeling Says:

Hi Grade 3/4D,
    I loved all of your photos showing what a fun day Harmony Day was. It was great to spend a fun day at school enjoying many activities but it was also great to remind each other how we should look after one another and to care for your friends. When I walk into your classroom I can always see that you do care for each other which is fantastic!
    Enjoy the last 2 weeks of term 1 in 3/4D!

5. March 24th, 2014 at 4:51 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hello!!

My favorite part of Harmony Day was doing all the activities set up by the SRC. They all did an AMAZING JOB!! (even though i didn’t see all the Reps. It was a memorable moment that I will try to remember forever and it was so fun.

From Sophie.M

6. March 24th, 2014 at 4:52 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hello again,

I forgot to say that Harmony Day means….. When everyone celebrates the different cultures we have.

Sophie.M

7. March 25th, 2014 at 9:40 am      Reply Sophie P Says:

Harmony day Was such a great celebration everyone got to participate . My favorite part of the day was when Sophie M And I did the three legged race we had to concentrate on where our feet were going otherwise we would have fallen over. I had a great day how about you? harmony day means that everyone can celebrate and share all of their different cultures.
    Sophie P 🙂

8. March 26th, 2014 at 7:04 am      Reply mikaela Says:

Hey 3/4D,
    Harmony Day means to me celebrating different cultures that make Australia. Harmony Day was a great day, everybody got a icy-pole and ate lunch together during the day all of the 2/3/4’s played lots of fun games there was three-legged race, egg and spoon race, sack race and three-legged batten race. In the end Harmony Day was a great day!
    Mikaela 🙂

9. March 29th, 2014 at 6:38 am      Reply paige Says:

I think Harmony day means everyone belongs.
    I can not decide what my favourite thing on Harmony day was because the whole day was so much fun!
    I really enjoyed Harmony day!!!!!!

10. March 29th, 2014 at 6:44 am      Reply paige Says:

Hi Miss Dickson,
    Here is a question for you.
    What do you think Harmony day means and what was your favourite thing we did on Harmony day?

Paige

• March 29th, 2014 at 11:01 pm      Reply Miss Dickson Says:

Hi Paige,

Thanks for asking the question. I think Harmony Day is important because it acknowledges the many different cultures that life here in Australia. Everyone belongs and we all play a part in making Australia a great place to live in.

I really enjoyed seeing our SRC students running the teamwork activities with everyone. They all showed great leadership. I also enjoyed wiriting the blog post as a class. It is the first time this year 3\4D were in charge of writing the post together and it showed everyone the importance of celebrating Harmony Day.

Best wishes from Miss Dickson

11. March 31st, 2014 at 6:27 am      Reply charlie Says:

harmony day was a great day! it was very fun when the SRC reps (me) set up the harmony day games. And after i loved the icy poles! it was a fun day.

charlie 🙂