Excursion to the Melbourne Museum

May5

This term for Inquiry we are looking at different systems. We are investigating how does change happen in a system. At the moment we are studying the human body system. On Monday 5th May Year 3/4D went on an excursion to the Melbourne Museum. The Museum is a fascinating place to visit. Click on the Smilebox presentation below to check out all the interesting things we saw:

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
A picture slideshow by Smilebox

Year 3/4D now it is time to reflect on our excursion to the Museum.

Complete a 3-2-1 strategy on your trip to the Melbourne Museum.
Write down your thinking in full sentences.
3- things you discovered
2- interesting things
1 – Question or wondering you have

What was your favourite part of the excursion?

“Excursion to the Melbourne Museum”

1. May 6th, 2014 at 6:00 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi 3/4 D!!

3: I discovered that if you don’t take care of your body (like using steroids) bad things will happen.
    I discovered that in the future babies will start originating back into Monkeys, Chimps all those kinds of animals that we originated from.
    I discovered some people had conditions that they were born with. Like a man. When he saw letters, Numbers, he saw colours with it. And he liked it.
    2: That a whale ate a squid and unfortunatly died.
    When you are in a room with a tilted floor. What will happen is one person stands at one side of the room and someone on the other side of the room one person will always be bigger then the person on the other side.
    1: Why did we have to origanate from Chimps?

From Sophie M

2. May 6th, 2014 at 6:56 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Hi 3/4D!
    The excursion was very interesting, funny, and cool.
    What I discovered
    1.I discovered a body system that I never knew- the reproductive system. The reproductive system makes babies.
    2.I discovered that there is lots of mucus and saliva in the oesophagus to let the food go down.
    3.I discovered that everyone’s heart rate in a minute or more is different.
    Interesting things
    1.There is acid in your stomach. There is also HEAPS of mucus in your stomach to protect the stomach from the acid as the acid could eat your stomach.
    2.A human produces 2 litres of saliva/spit a day.
    Wondering
    1. What would happen if we had a missing part of the body but something inside your body?
    The excursion was very fun and I loved the whole part of the excursion.
    From Theresa

3. May 6th, 2014 at 7:03 am      Reply sophiepi Says:

At the museum here are some things that I discovered, pillcams I did not know that you could swallow a camera , mucus protects us from our tummies being eaten by the stomach acid and that your white blood cells protect you from germs.
    Some interesting things are you produce 2 litres of saliva in 1 day and your small intestine is longer than your long intestine
    And a question I have is how long is your whole digestive system

4. May 6th, 2014 at 8:35 am      Reply Sophie Pa Says:

Hi 3/4D, our excursion to the museum was awesome. Some things I found out were that if a doctor wanted to see inside your body he would put a special tube into your throat. another thing I found out was that a part of your brain can tell you to dance!
    another fact is that when you eat something your body stretches the food down through your body. the two interesting facts are already in the text before this. 1 question is how many bones are in a body?
    Sophie Pa

5. May 6th, 2014 at 9:35 am      Reply taylahc Says:

Hi 3/4D!

Things I Discovered at the Melbourne Museum

1. I discovered that each day we produce 2 litres of saliva. HOW AMAZING!!!!
    2. I also discovered that we have lots of systems in our body. Including: skeletal system, Immune system, Digestive system and many others, but too many to name.
    3. I also discovered that you can swallow a microchip tablet to take pictures of the inside of your stomach.

Things that were interesting to me

1. I found the Digestive system interesting because I got to see what happens after we eat a meal and how the food goes down the oesophagus into the stomach and out of your bowel.
    2. I found it interesting that our skull is the only bone in the human body that does not move.

A question that I have

1. why do we have so many metres of intestine in our body and what is the difference between the small and large intestine?

6. May 6th, 2014 at 10:45 pm      Reply Paige Says:

At the Melbourne museum I discovered that we have 2 blood cells a white and red, lots of things in the body and how big the digestion system is. I found the dinosaur bones and all the things in the body show interesting. I wonder how they found out all the information? It was so good I don’t know what I liked the best!

Paige

7. May 7th, 2014 at 7:20 am      Reply phoebe Says:

At the Museum I learnt that if a doctor wanted to look down your throat or in your body they would put a tube down your throat. Other thing is that when you eat your body stretches it down in 3 stages.1 question why do we have so many systems.

8. May 7th, 2014 at 7:23 am      Reply zoe Says:

hi 3/4d
    the excursion to the Melbourne museum was fun.
    what i discovered
    1. i discovered that mucous is like a force field around your esophagus.
    things that were interesting
    2. the dinosaur bones were interesting
    and the giant squid.
    3. i wonder why we need to have a small intestine and a large one

9. May 7th, 2014 at 7:24 am      Reply Thomas D. Says:

Hi 3/4D, The three things I discovered at the Museum are: 1. There is a pillcam that you swallow to see whats wrong with you and takes photos, 2. doctors also use a tube with a camera and light on the end to look in your body, 3. There are all kinds of systems in your body – digestive system, reproductive system, respiratory system and more. The two things I found interesting are: 1. Your heart shape actually looks like when you make a fist with your hand. 2. The ribs protect your lungs and heart. I am wondering when someone dies, how long it takes to become a skeleton. My favourite part of the excursion was when my dad and I used the strength test device and dad had double the strength in his right hand than I did.

10. May 8th, 2014 at 7:10 am      Reply Ned Says:

I discovered the pill cam that go in your body the tube camera looks through your body and all kinds of systems. The giant squid and the in the body all different parts of the body move different and are the dinosaur bones real.

11. May 8th, 2014 at 8:33 am      Reply Gabe Says:

our class went on an excursion to the Melbourne museum on the 5th of may.
    These are 3 things I discovered
    1. there are hundreds more animals living in the wild than I thought
    2. what it looks like in a human stomach
    3. what the doctors use to see inside a human body
    These are 2 things that were interesting to me
    1. the small intestine is really long
    2. there is a small pill you can swallow to see inside your own body
    This is 1 question I have
    1. How long does a piece of food stay in a human stomach for?

12. May 8th, 2014 at 9:48 am      Reply Lachlan Says:

Hi 3/4D ,
    The things I discovered are:
    3.if you get Alzheimer’s disease you lose memory of loved ones and eventually die
    2.according to scientific studies in 100 or 1000 years Australia will have moved up to the equator and connect with Asia
    1.when a child is born some of their DNA matches their family’s DNA
    Some interesting things are
    2.if you see colours when you see or hear sounds and letters and numbers you have Synesthesia.
    1.scientific studies show that in the future we will start turning back into chimps
    My question is why don’t boys have babys?

My favourite part was watching the bug horror movie.

13. May 8th, 2014 at 10:01 am      Reply Ashton Says:

hi 3/4 D. the 3 things i have discovered on the excursion 1. How the human body works. 2. I have seen the inside of a real person, kidney, bones, poo and food that is 4 hours old in the body. 3. I have learnt about dinosaur bones.
    Interesting things. 1. I went into the black and white room it had a camera inside and a tv out side. 2. We went under a hole or a cave.
    I was wondering if the stuffed animals are real.
    we have learnt about systems.

14. May 8th, 2014 at 10:11 am      Reply Junwoo Says:

I found out that there is a line that squeezes the food. Doctors use little cameras to see inside the person’s body. The kid’s teeth has lots of other teeth layers and the adult doesn’t. The heart doesn’t stop pumping until you die. There is a line called nerves that connected with your brain and nerves go every where around the body. How do you get to see a person’s brain.

From Junwoo

15. May 9th, 2014 at 7:24 am      Reply Nikolas Says:

Things I discovered at the Melbourne Museum

One thing I discovered was that the immune system helps you fight diseases. If you are sick and some people say that I have a very weak immune system that means that you catch a lot of colds.

The second thing I discovered was that the nervous system helps your body work like this: your spinal cord receives information from the skin, joints and muscles of your body. It also carries the nerves that control all your movements. Your brain is the most complicated part of your nervous system.

The third thing I discovered was that the respiratory system helps your body work like this:The respiratory system is the group of tissues and organs in your body that enable you to breathe. This system includes your airways, your lungs and the blood vessels and muscles attached to them that work together so you can breathe. The respiratory system job is supply oxygen to all the parts of your body.

2 Interesting things at the Melbourne Museum

The first thing I found interesting was that your human body has so many different muscles, bones and systems I found it really interesting.

The second thing I found interesting was that some dinosaurs were massive and some were tiny. Like the t-rex was massive and had really small arms. which is funny because it’s a meat eater and a big dinosaur.

One question I had at the Melbourne Museum

What would happen if you had a missing vein?
    I had a really good time at the Melbourne Museum.

From Nikolas

16. May 10th, 2014 at 12:44 am      Reply Jacob Says:

I discovered some very interesting things at the Melbourne Museum excursion. I discovered that whales eat squid, and that food travels into your stomach down a pipe called the oesophagus and that you breathe through your lungs. I was also interested that you can swallow a pill which is a camera and the doctor can see your whole body. It is interesting that the heart is so important because it pumps blood all around your body to keep you alive. I was wondering How many different types of rocks there are in the world?

From Jacob

17. May 10th, 2014 at 10:00 am      Reply Mikaela Says:

At the Melbourne Museum i discovered that the human body squeezes the food down a small/ thin tube to get to your Stomach which is called your “Digestive System.” I also discovered that your white blood cells help your “Immune System.” Your blood cells are so small that you have to look through a microscope to be able to see them. One thing i found interesting is your “Nerves” connect to your brain and transfers messages from your brain though your Nerves to your hand or legs or other parts of your body. I also found interesting that that your small intestine is longer then your big intestine.
    My question is “Does your Nerves send messages back to your brain or other Nerves?”
    Mikaela

18. May 12th, 2014 at 7:55 am      Reply charlie Says:

at the Melboune museum i discovered that there is a long body system also that everything in the human body has a system. And that the human body system squeezes the food in to tiny tiny things down the throat.

I found the dinosaur bones interesting because there was alot of bones. Also I liked the pill camara because it was so tiny and thats what i really like.

my question is how many bones in a dinosaur and human body?

from charlie

19. May 12th, 2014 at 8:31 am      Reply Freddy Says:

Things I discovered at the Museum.
    1 People use small pill cams to take pictures of the inside of your body.
    2 I leant about the different systems in our body .
    3 I discovered that you can learn so much at the museum and it can be a lot of fun.

2 Interesting things
    1 Doctors use pill cams to take pictures of the inside of your body.
    2 I think the models of the bones looked cool.

1 Questions or things you are wondering about
    How many bones are in the human body?

20. May 13th, 2014 at 8:11 am      Reply phoebe Says:

3 Things I discovered at the Museum
    1 That there are 11 systems in the body.
    2 People use pill cams to see down our body’s.
    3 That your nerves systems sends messages.

2 Interesting facts
    1 Your body works night and day
    2 How everything is fit in the body .

21. May 13th, 2014 at 9:22 am      Reply gabriella Says:

3 things I discovered:
    3. whales can eat a giant squid
    2. there are white and red blood cells in the body
    1. doctors use pill cams to look in patients’ bodies

2 things I found interesting:
    2. when i touched fossilised dinosaur POO!!! At first i thought it was a rock, but it was well disguised!
    1. the crystals and gems were sparkly so they caught my attention. The stuffed animals were life like.

1 question or wondering:
    how many bones are there in a dinosaur?

gabriella

22. May 14th, 2014 at 9:34 pm      Reply Ryan Says:

The three things I discovered were:
    I discovered a giant squid inside the stomach of a whale.
    There are lots of systems in your body, skeletal, digestive, muscular, nervous, reproductive and immune. I also discovered that there was a certain type of dinosaur that ate rocks

The two things interesting were:
    The fact that we may turn back into primates.
    The camera that you can swallow to see inside your body.

My question is: How many bones in your body?

Ryan

23. May 15th, 2014 at 8:41 am      Reply noah Says:

Hi 3/4d,
    Three things I discovered were:
    1.For the body to function it needs a brain and food.
    2.When you eat food it goes down this tube called the oesophagus.
    3.It is important to eat healthy food to grow big and strong.

Two interesting things I saw were:
    1.Looking through a microscope at the bones of a human body.
    2.Looking at a big puzzle of a human body was interesting also.

One thing I am wondering about is how many systems are there in a human body?

24. October 16th, 2014 at 7:54 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

I have been to the Melbourne Museum with my family.
    I liked the Melbourne Museum
    excursion. Because it looked great. It also looked exciting.

Alex Sophie M’s Brother