Kids Learning Together

A 3/4 Class Blog

The Digestive System

June1

On the 19th and 20th of May the Middle School had Monash Science Centre come out to lead us through an incursion about the Digestive System.

We learnt how long it takes for a child, a male adult and a female adult to fully digest their food. It takes 6 to 8 hours for food to pass through stomach and small intestine. Average of 40 hours just to pass through large intestine alone. Variations between men(33hrs), women (47hrs) and children (33hrs) exist. Anywhere between 24 and 48 hours is normal.

We did an oesophagus race where you squeeze a ping-pong ball through a stocking. This process is called peristalsis.

We made a mixture then put it into a plastic zip-lock bag. Then we added more ingredients (enzymes). We had to break the food up into small pieces just like the stomach does. Did you know it takes 4 hours for the stomach to break up and digest your food.

After that the Mei, the lady from Monash Science Centre, shaped the mixture and made it look like poop. We enjoyed all of it and had a lot of fun. Click on the link below to see photos from our incursion (sorry it takes a while to open):

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Personalize a free picture slideshow

What did you learn about the digestive system?
What was your favourite part of our digestive system incursion?

by posted under Uncategorized | 14 Comments »    

“The Digestive System”

1. June 1st, 2014 at 11:54 am      Reply Mr Wakeling Says:

Hi Grade 3/4D,
    I loved reading about what you have learnt in class. When i was teaching a class the unit of the work on the human body was always a favourite of mine.
    Keep learning & enjoy all there is to know about the human body!
    Mr Wakeling

• June 5th, 2014 at 3:30 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Thank you Mr Wakeling!
      You left an excellent detailed comment. Hope to see you leaving other comments on our class blog.

Thanks!
      Sophie.M

2. June 2nd, 2014 at 9:00 am      Reply Lachlan Says:

I learnt that peristalsis is pushing food down the oesophagus. Another thing I learnt is that a girls small Intestine is larger than a boys small intestine.

My favourite part was the weetbix activity.

3. June 5th, 2014 at 12:50 am      Reply junwoo Says:

Hi
    I really enjoyed the incursion. I learnt what the oesophagus does. My favourite part was touching animal organs.
    From Junwoo

4. June 5th, 2014 at 1:10 am      Reply Taylah, Sienna & Ashton Says:

Hi 3/4D,

We have all learnt about the digestive system.
    We all learnt that we have a type of liquid in our oesophagus called peristalsis.
    we have also learnt how our food digests from our mouth to our ANUS!
    Our favorite part was when we got to crush up weatbix and add water and turn it into a SLOPPY POO!!!!

Thank You By Taylah & Sienna-ashlea & ashton- chibby

5. June 5th, 2014 at 2:42 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Hi 3/4D!
    I learnt that a girls small intestine is 7.1 meters and a boys small intestine is 6.9 meters. I never knew that and it surprised me! I enjoyed having a jellybean, making the stuff with weetbix, doing the peristalsis activity! The incursion was very interesting.

Theresa

6. June 5th, 2014 at 3:22 am      Reply ashtonchfmw Says:

Howdy 3/4D,

I learnt the stomach adds acid to break food down and the oesophagus pushes food down to the stomach.

The food goes from the mouth to the anus.

From Ashton

7. June 5th, 2014 at 3:28 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Miss Dickson!

I loved the Incursion! It was very well planned by Mei! My favourite part was touching all the organs. It was soo gross!

From Sophie.M

• June 10th, 2014 at 7:47 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Hi Sophie!
      Did you really like touching the organs??? That was groooosssss!!!!!! I liked the weet-bix activity the most.
      Theresa ♥

8. June 5th, 2014 at 3:29 am      Reply paigejhfmw Says:

Hi 3/4D,
    At the incursion I learnt heaps of things. I learnt that peristalsis starts at the oesophagus, I also learnt what parts of the Digestive System do and lots more . I enjoyed everything but I really enjoyed touching the animal organs! It was really good and it was really fun with Mei!

Paige

9. June 5th, 2014 at 3:33 am      Reply Zoe Says:

Hi 3/4d,

I learnt that peristalsis is when your food is getting pushed down your oesophagus. Then it goes to the stomach where the stomach acid breaks down the food. Then it goes to the small intestine where your villi sucks in the nutrients from the food and sends it to your red blood cells. Then your food goes to your large intestine were the large intestine squeezes the liquids out of your food then it goes to your rectum.

from Zoe.

10. June 11th, 2014 at 9:16 pm      Reply Gabe Says:

Hi 3/4D

In the incursion I learnt 2 new things one was that peristalsis works in the oesophagus
    and another thing I learnt is that the small intestine is 7 meters long!
    My favourite part of the incursion was the wheat-bix activity we got 1 or 2 wheat-bix each got some water and mixed it together and scrunch it up next we got some chocolate and also mixed it in.

Gabe

11. June 27th, 2014 at 1:00 am      Reply Ned Says:

Hi 3/4D
    I really like the weet bix thing and at the end it turns to poo
    I give it a 5/5 it was great
    by Ned