Kids Learning Together

A 3/4 Class Blog

3/4D and 3/4A create lifesize models of the Digestive System

June24

In Inquiry Year 3/4D and 3/4A have been learning about the Human Body. We investigated the Digestive System. We worked in small groups and created our own life size models of the Digestive System.

First we traced around one of the students in our groups. We brainstormed what materials we would use to represent each organ involved in the Digestive System. Some of the materials we used were sponges, straws, balloons, tissue paper, string, stockings, crepe paper, cardboard tubes, streamers, newspaper and even a whoopee cushion.

It took about 6 lessons to create our life-size models. Once we finished creating our models we had to label all the parts and write a description of what they do.

What did you think of our models? Did they look like the Digestive System?
What facts do you know about the digestive system?

by posted under Uncategorized | 4 Comments »    

“3/4D and 3/4A create lifesize models of the Digestive System”

1. June 26th, 2014 at 5:42 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi 3/4D
    It was fun making the Digestive system models.
    I have learned lots about the digestive system.
    From Sophie

2. June 26th, 2014 at 5:47 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Hi 3/4D!
    Wow! It looks like you all are doing some interesting work. I think that all the models are AWESOME!!! They really do look like the digestive system. I know that your teeth crush and grind the food. The oesophagus uses peristalsis- a method of food being broken down. The stomach has hydrochloric acid in it. It is also known as stomach acid. The small intestine takes out all of the nutrients from the food using villi. The large intestine creates waste product. I am sure everyone knows what the rectum does.
    Keep up the great work!

Theresa 😀

3. October 16th, 2014 at 6:23 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Hi 3/4D!
    I was in America so I didn’t get to finish the models. They looked really good.
    Theresa

4. October 20th, 2014 at 8:40 am      Reply Jenelle (Charlie's mum) Says:

Hi 3/4 D,
    Your life size models of the digestive system are fantastic. I can’t believe you did all that in 6 sessions!
    Did you know the small intestine is 7 meters long? I’m sure you did, I had to goggle that fact. I knew the small intestine was long, but I didn’t know it was that long!!!!
    Keep up the good work
    Jenelle