Book Week – Connect to Reading

August26

Monday 18th August commenced the start of Book Week. This year’s theme is Connect to Reading. It is all about enjoying the experience of exploring stories and travelling to other worlds. Most people associate reading with bedtime and wearing pyjamas. Therefore students came to school in their favourite pyjamas and onesies. 3/4D shared their favourite books with the students in Prep H. Check out the video below to see how we connected to reading.

During Book Week we read all the short listed books in the picture book category. Rules of Summer was awarded the prize of Picture Book of the Year.

Students worked in small groups to create a book trailer promoting each book. Look at all the fantastic book trailers below.

The Treasure Box Written by Margaret Wild and Freya Blackwood

The Windy Farm Written by Doug MacLeod and Craig Smith

Parachute written by Danny Parker and Matt Ottley

Silver Buttons Written by Bob Graham

Rules of Summer Written by Shaun Tan

King Pig Written by Nick Bland

Granny Grommet and Me Written by Dianne Wolfer and Karen Blair

What was your favourite book from this years Book Week? Why was it your favourite book?
How do you like to Connect with Reading? What types of books do you enjoy reading?
What was your favourite book trailer? Why?

“Book Week – Connect to Reading”

1. August 27th, 2014 at 11:49 pm      Reply Charlie Says:

It was fun making a I movie about Rules of Summer. Who’s do you think was the best?? What book did you make a I movie about?? What was your favourite book??
    From Charlie.

• October 16th, 2014 at 5:30 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

Hey Charlie,
      My favourite iMovie was summer rules which i believe was yours.
      I made granny grommet i noticed i did make some mistakes.

From Taylah C

2. August 28th, 2014 at 6:24 am      Reply lachlankhfmw Says:

hi 3/4d
    My favourite book was the treasure box because he loved the book so much that he came back for it.
    I enjoy reading mystery, fantasy and action books. at the moment I am reading some of J.R Tolkiens and Anthony Horrowitz books. my favourite book trailer was silver buttons because I helped make it.

3. August 28th, 2014 at 6:54 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Hi 3/4D!
    My favourite book was Parachute because it was about Toby being brave and courageous and it was about him and his parachute. I like to connect with reading on my beanbag or before I go to bed. I like reading adventure books but the books that I currently like the most are the Percy Jackson series. It is about when Percy finds out his father is a Greek God (Poseidon) and his life changes into a dangerous one. Apart from my book trailer, I liked the Silver Buttons one the most because it was really engaging and I want to know what would happen next. That group did it really well.

From,
    Theresa ♥

4. August 28th, 2014 at 9:29 am      Reply freddy Says:

Hi
    I really like all the trailers but my favourite book from this years book week is rules of summer because it was funny and the pictures were great. i cant wait until next book week.

Freddy

5. August 28th, 2014 at 9:41 am      Reply nikolasfhfmw Says:

My favourite book was the treasure box because it was about there people and in the story it said ‘ the book is more splendid then silver and is more greater then gold’.

I like to connect to reading by reading my favourite books. My favourite book is the Alex Rider series written by Anthony Horowitz.

My favourite book trailer was mine the windy farm video because it was all calm at the start and then it was full of action. I also liked it because it didn’t say the end of the book so it will persuade you to read it.

By Nikolas

6. August 28th, 2014 at 10:29 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi 3/4D…
    I loved doing the book trailers, it was amazing. I did Parachute with Zoe and Theresa. We had a lot of fun and did a good job. My favourite book was either Rules Of Summer or Parachute because Rules Of Summer had a lot of never things and only a few always. I like connecting with reading when I go to my Nans house in the morning. I enjoy reading the Mortal Instruments series, the Harry Potter books and a lot more. My favourite book trailer was Silver Buttons. It had funny music and pictures.

From Sophie M

7. August 30th, 2014 at 3:13 am      Reply rose Says:

Hey 3/4D
    I loved watching your videos of Book Week.
    Keep up the great work.
    From Rose

• October 15th, 2014 at 9:33 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Hey Rose!
      Thanks for putting a comment on our blog. I am glad that you liked the iMovies.
      Which one was your favourite?
      From,
      Theresa ♥

• November 14th, 2014 at 9:56 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Rose,
      It is great to see you coming on our class blog. It is great you like our movie trailers. Did You have a favorite one?
      Happy Blogging ! 🙂
      Sophie Pa 🙂

8. August 31st, 2014 at 4:02 am      Reply william Says:

I really liked making a I movie on king pig with Ashton, Ned and me. it was fun and I liked everyone’s I movie too. it was great

from will:)

9. September 4th, 2014 at 10:00 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Book week was great our theme was connect to reading so we thought a time when we read is when we go to bed. Some of the books we read were Parachute, Granny Grommet and Me, Silver Buttons The Treasure box and Rules of Summer. My favourite book was the Treasure Box and it was even about a very special book so that is why The Treasure box is my favourite. Besides Mine my favourite trailer was Parachute because it was easy to understand and i Liked all of the photos you put in it. It was a great day.
    Sophie Pa

10. September 8th, 2014 at 9:29 am      Reply ataraf Says:

My favourite book in book week was king pig because even though king pig was mean at the start he changed and I thought that was a great moral for the story. I could not pick a favourite trailer because they were all very interesting and different and each book matched a perfect setting and music.

Great work!
    From Atara 🙂

• October 11th, 2014 at 8:53 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Atara!
      Thank you for leaving a comment on our class blog.
      What book did you do? I did Parachute.
      I will have to see yours.
      From Sophie M 😉

• November 14th, 2014 at 9:59 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Atara,
      Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog.
      I also liked king pig. But it was not my favorite.
      My favorite was the treasure box because it is about a book
      and I love books! 🙂
      Sophie Pa 🙂

11. September 9th, 2014 at 8:44 am      Reply Oscarh Says:

Dear 3/4D

I really like rules of summer all the the pictures were matching but all of them were good

From Oscar H

• October 16th, 2014 at 5:44 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

Hi Oscar

Thank you for leaving a comment on 3/4D’s
      blog. I am sure Freddy and his group are happy
      that you like theirs. Once again thank you.

From Taylah C

12. September 13th, 2014 at 7:38 am      Reply Mikaela Says:

My favorite book was Rules Of Summer because it was funny and the pictures were very detailed and colorful.
    Happy Blogging!
    Mikaela

• October 11th, 2014 at 2:48 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Mikaela
      Thank you for leaving a great comment.
      I liked the Treasure Box. It was very good.
      From Sophie M

• October 16th, 2014 at 5:53 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

Hi Mikaela,
      You left a fantastic comment.
      I liked the treasure box you really put a lot of effort
      in to it and i loved how you where in the iMovie instead of the book!!

From Taylah C

13. October 15th, 2014 at 9:31 am      Reply Theresa Says:

Hey 3/4D!
    Making the trailers were very fun! I did Parachute with Sophie and Zoe. It was really good making the iMovie. Everyone’s trailers were fantastic!
    From,
    Theresa ♥

14. October 15th, 2014 at 7:30 pm      Reply Sophie M Says:

I did Parachute. I thought it was good.
    Theresa Zoe and I did a good job.
    I loved seeing everyone’s book
    trailer. Congrats!

Sophie M

15. October 15th, 2014 at 7:37 pm      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hey 3/4D
    First some 5/6’s came to our class. I don’t know why.
    In 1/2D we wrote about what book we liked best.

From Alex (Sophie M’s brother)

16. October 16th, 2014 at 6:00 am      Reply lachydc Says:

Great job on your iMovie trailers you did a great job
    i really liked rules of summer good job keep up
    the good work

From lachy in 5/6NW

17. October 20th, 2014 at 5:27 am      Reply Sophie Says:

My favorite book was the treasure box because i love stories about books. I also loved the treasure box trailor because i loved the way they made it. I really enjoyed book week.it was so much fun.
    Sophie Pa 🙂