Our Woodwork Incursion

November7

On the 23rd of October 3/4D went to a woodwork incursion. All of us were excited and were wondering what we will be making. We met Asher and he told us what to do.

We learnt how to saw, hammer and how to bring bent nails back up straight. We made a solar powered wind turbine. It was a really good experience. We found out how the wind turbine works. When sunlight goes onto the solar panel, it connects to the motor and the motor makes the panel move round.

This relates to our inquiry unit โ€˜How can we care for our Earthโ€™ because you donโ€™t need to use electricity to work it. It uses natural energy from the Earth so it doesnโ€™t do any harm on Earth.

We enjoyed doing the wood work because we have learnt lots of building skills. It was an enjoyable challenge.

Click on the link below to see photos from our woodwork incursion.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Free picture slideshow customized with Smilebox

Have you ever built anything? What was it?
What was your favourite part of the woodwork incursion?

“Our Woodwork Incursion”

1. November 7th, 2014 at 12:43 pm      Reply Sienna ashlea Says:

I remember I built a wooden plane. It was hard and easy but it was very fun to make.
    My favourite part of the woodwork incursion was sawing and hammering the nails in the wood.
    The wood work incursion was so much fun I wanted to build one more but we couldn’t make one more ๐Ÿ™
    But over all it was so much fun.

From Sienna

• November 19th, 2014 at 7:10 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

Hi Sienna,
      I hope you had a great time at the wood work incursion and you learnt a lot of information on wood.
      I also hope you had an amazing time cutting with a saw, hammering a nail and lots more other stuff

HAPPY BLOGGING!!!!

Taylah C

• November 29th, 2014 at 3:35 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Sienna
      Did you like the woodwork incursion? I loved it!
      I liked the table. The thing on the side that opened the
      table up was awesome. I liked the hammering
      but I hit my thumb 3 times with the hammer.
      I remember making a wooden plane. Was it in 2/3D?

2. November 7th, 2014 at 10:45 pm      Reply Theresa Says:

Hey Miss Dickson!
    The incursion was really fun and I found the wind turbine really cool. Thanks for organising that incursion! In year 1, I think I made a spaceship at school also by Learning By Doing. I also made a fan using a rubber band at a birthday party. My favourite part of the incursion was when I added the solar panel and the motor because it made the whole thing look like everything was in place. The incursion was a really fun experience.
    Theresa โ™ฅ

• November 29th, 2014 at 3:33 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Theresa
      I had a great time at the woodwork incursion.
      When did you make the spaceship? I think I remember making a plane.
      We worked together. The table was cool how you twisted the
      Thingamagigy and it opened.

3. November 11th, 2014 at 10:35 am      Reply Sophie Says:

I loved the woodwork incursion. It was a great experience because I had never made something like it. My favourite part was sawing the wood off the wood. It was so cool how we had a table to make it on. In the end we had made a solar power wind turbine. I really enjoyed it.
    Sophie Pa

• November 29th, 2014 at 3:29 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Sophie Pa
      I also enjoyed the woodwork incursion. It was amazing.
      Asher was a great teacher. He even helped me with the bent nail
      5 times! How did yours turn out? Did you get time to decorate?
      I did. It was an amazing experience.

4. November 11th, 2014 at 10:21 pm      Reply Myrna Says:

Hey 3/4D, what a wonderful job you have done on your wind turbine! The finished product looked amazing, especially after decorating them your own individual way. It’s nice to see that you could relate the solar powered turbine to your inquiry unit, Sustainability. I wonder, have any of you noticed the big solar panels on some houses roofs? Just like your solar wind turbine which spun when the sun hit the panel, TVs, Playstations, Washing machines, and fridges, and all electricals in a house, can actually operate using the big solar panels on a house’s roof. I think that’s pretty impressive! Well done 3/4s on your amazing learning.
    From Myrna (Gabe’s Mum)

• November 12th, 2014 at 5:39 am      Reply Gabe Says:

Hi Mum
      Thank you for leaving a well written blog comment.
      I hope you enjoyed watching the video of us building our solar panelled wind turbine.

Gabe

• November 12th, 2014 at 8:56 am      Reply phoebejhfmw Says:

Hi Myrna

Thank for looking at 3/4ds blog.
      Hope you enjoy what we do next.

Phoebe

• November 12th, 2014 at 9:33 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Myrna,
      Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog. It is great seeing you come on our class blog. Yes, I have seen some of those very big solar panels on some house roofs. It is amazing how much solar panels can do.
      Sophie Pa ๐Ÿ™‚

• November 29th, 2014 at 3:27 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Myrna
      Thank you for leaving a comment on our class blog.
      We had a great experience with the wind turbine.
      I have noticed the solar panels on roofs, and
      they power the fridges, TV, lights etc. They are used for many things.

5. November 12th, 2014 at 5:51 am      Reply Gabe Says:

I have made a wooden plane, it was really fun making it. I have made other things out of wood because my Nonno is a builder which is handy because he made our house with other people. I think making things that use solar panels is good because 1 it is fun to make and 2 we are using a renewable source. I enjoyed making the wind turbine. It was fun using the saws, nails and hammer. I learnt many things from Asher and they were interesting. I hope everyone enjoyed building the wind turbine because I know I did!

• November 29th, 2014 at 3:24 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Gabe
      I think I remember making a wooden plane. Was it in 2/3D??
      Anyway we had heaps of fun making a wind turbine. The mini
      Solar Panels were cute. I really enjoyed the wind turbine.
      It was great.

6. November 12th, 2014 at 7:37 am      Reply Sophie Pi Says:

hi 3/4 D
    I enjoyed getting to make the wind turbine especially doing the nails and sawing by myself
    I learned how to get the nail up if it got banged down.
    But most of all was to finish it!
    I was happy when Asher tested the wind turbine and they worked!
    from Sophie

• November 13th, 2014 at 8:47 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Sophie Pi,
      I really liked the woodwork incursion too.
      Well done! you were able to get the nail up! I couldn’t.
      But Asher did help me.
      Sophie Pa ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• November 28th, 2014 at 8:59 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Sophie Pi
      I also enjoyed the woodwork incursion.
      I can’t believe it! How did you get them up?
      I went to Asher 5 times!

• November 29th, 2014 at 3:21 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Sophie Pi
      I also enjoyed making the wind turbine.
      It was awesome! Congratulations on
      getting the nail back up. I couldn’t so I
      went to Asher 5 times!

7. November 12th, 2014 at 8:07 am      Reply Nick Says:

Its looks like a great incursion and you learned heaps
    We never had things like this when I went to school

nick

• November 28th, 2014 at 8:57 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Nick
      Thank you for leaving a comment on our class blog.
      We had lots of fun. We did learn a lot.

• November 29th, 2014 at 3:19 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Nick
      Thank you for leaving a comment on our class blog.
      It was a great incursion and we had heaps of fun!!!
      We were very very lucky.

8. November 12th, 2014 at 8:50 am      Reply phoebejhfmw Says:

I really like doing the hammering and sawing.
    I really like it in the end because it spun round in sunlight.

Phoebe

• November 28th, 2014 at 8:52 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Phoebe
      I also liked doing the sawing and the hammering.
      Maybe the hammering a bit more if I didnt hit my
      thumb! It hurts.

• November 29th, 2014 at 3:16 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Phoebe
      I also liked doing the sawing and hammering.
      Maybe I might have liked the hammering a bit
      more if I didn’t keep hitting my thumb!

9. November 12th, 2014 at 9:37 am      Reply Sophie Says:

It looks like you loved the woodwork incursion. I wish I were there with you. I have never done a woodwork incursion but I hope to be able to do it.
    Olivia (Sophie’s sister)

• November 14th, 2014 at 10:08 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Olivia,
      We were very lucky to do a woodwork incursion. It was quite hard,
      so maybe 1/2’s are a bit to young.
      Sophie Pa

• November 28th, 2014 at 5:31 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Olivia
      You might be able to do it in year 4. But believe me it was hard.
      Especially with the bent nails! I went to Asher 4 to 5 times.
      My brother Alex wanted to do it. I said maybe in 2 years time.

10. November 12th, 2014 at 9:43 am      Reply thomasdhfmw Says:

hi 3/4 D
    It was fun to make a wind turbine. It was hard to hammer the nails in straight. It was fun to see it work by solar energy.

Thomas D.

• November 28th, 2014 at 5:28 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

HI Thomas
      It was really hard to fix the bent nails!
      I kept going to Asher to help me. I felt
      kind of silly always going up but I could
      not fix it!

11. November 12th, 2014 at 8:55 pm      Reply thomasdhfmw Says:

It was cool when the wind turbine went when the sun hit it.
    I liked it when it went by solar power.

Thomas

• November 28th, 2014 at 5:26 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Thomas
      Alot of things are powered by solar panels.
      But obviously if you have solar panels, it
      would be powered by it but still.

12. November 12th, 2014 at 9:02 pm      Reply thomasdhfmw Says:

I was making my wind turbine next to Freddy.
    it was easy to put the wies together.

Thomas

• November 28th, 2014 at 5:23 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Thomas
      I was working next to Theresa.
      Yeah the wires were pretty easy.
      Bringing the nails back up was hard.

13. November 12th, 2014 at 9:18 pm      Reply thomasdhfmw Says:

When I was walking to the classroom with my class all the wind turbines went on.
    It was so cool when they went on the second we got out of the hall because the light shone on the solar panel.

Thomas

• November 28th, 2014 at 5:22 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Thomas
      I had a great time making the Solar Powered Wind Turbines.
      Did you have fun? We learnt alot of good skills aswell.
      I used the hammer and I hit my thumb a few times.
      It hurts! Happy Blogging!

14. November 13th, 2014 at 3:40 am      Reply Naoise Says:

Good to see you are learning to create renewable energy. The wind turbines were very cool.
    Naoise (Gabriella’s cousin)

• November 14th, 2014 at 9:53 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Naoise,
      I am a Friend of Gabriella’s and it is great to see you come our blog.
      Yes it is good to create renewable energy.
      Sophie Pa ๐Ÿ™‚

• November 28th, 2014 at 5:18 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Naoise
      We had fun making the wind turbine.
      If people have solar panels we could
      make a difference to the enviorment.

15. November 13th, 2014 at 3:45 am      Reply Marianne Says:

Hello 3/4D,
    What a great project! Fantastic you are using solar power and learning about wind turbines. These things are very important.
    Marianne (Gabriella’s cousin)

• November 28th, 2014 at 5:16 am      Reply Sophie M Says:

Hi Marianne,
      Thankyou for leaving a comment on our class blog.
      It was a good project because everybody had loads of fun.
      It is very important about the Earth so we need to take care of it.
      It does alt for us, now it’s time to return the favour.

16. November 13th, 2014 at 3:46 am      Reply naoise Says:

This project is very cool, good to see you are learning about renewable energy.
    From Gabriella’s Nana

17. November 13th, 2014 at 4:57 am      Reply thomasdhfmw Says:

Hi Thomas,
    Your blog looks great and you have alot of info on the woodwork incursion. Making solar-powered wind turbines sounds really interesting.
    From James (Thomas’ brother)

• November 27th, 2014 at 8:29 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi James
      Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog.
      We had great fun. I used the saw once and I got the position wrong.
      Everyone did a great job.