Smartie Maths

November13

On Friday 7th November our Parents and Grand Parents joined us for a special learning celebration.

Students participated in hands on Mathematics involving a packet of Smarties. They measured length and mass, worked out the fraction of each colour of smarties in their packet, graphed the results and covered concepts of chance.

Each Student had to bring along a 50 gram box of smarties for this activity. Click on the link below to see the photos of our SMARTIE Maths Learning Celebration:

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a slideshow design

What maths skills did you need for our Smartie Maths Celebration?
What did you learn?
What was your favourite part?

“Smartie Maths”

1. November 14th, 2014 at 7:21 am      Reply Sophie P Says:

I had a great time using smarties for maths. I used some other activities I had done to help me with the hard ones. I also learned that in a smartie packet there could be any amount of smarties because the lowest amount was 46 and highest was 56. So there can be a big difference with the amount of smarties in a packet. My favourite part was when we were able to eat the smarties at the end.
    Sophie Pa 🙂 🙂 🙂

• November 20th, 2014 at 6:22 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

Hi Sophie Pa,
      I am glad you had a very good at the smartie maths.
      I certainly hope you and your mum learnt a lot of things and your mum taught you some maths to.
      It’s good to know that you learnt a lot about the smarties packets.

Good Job,
      Taylah C

• November 27th, 2014 at 7:44 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Sophie Pa,
      I had lots of fun with Smarties maths too. I worked with Theresa and her mum on our activities. I also used a strategies! I mainly used the Algorythm. I had 52 smarties in my packet. I can’t believe everyone had different numbers! Theresa and I had the same number of smarties.

Sophie M

2. November 14th, 2014 at 10:03 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

I wish the 1/2’s were allowed to have smarties although we had twisties.
    Were the activities hard or easy?
    Keep up the great work!
    Olivia Sophie’s Sister 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 😉 😉

• November 14th, 2014 at 10:05 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Olivia ,
      Thanks for coming on our blog!
      We actually had some hard and some easy question because we had a few challenges.
      Happy Blogging
      Sophie Pa 🙂

• November 19th, 2014 at 7:00 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

Hi Olivia,
      Thank for leaving a comment on our blog.
      some of the activities were hard to do like measure the whole classroom using smarty box (PRETTY HARD)but all you have to do is timetables i am sure you will learn them in 3/4

No need to worry a packet of twisties are way way yummier !!mmmmmm!!

Thanks again
      Taylah C

• November 27th, 2014 at 8:26 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hey Olivia
      Hey, twisties are good too!
      I used to eat some of my brothers, A!ex.
      He didn’t even know! But the smarties are good.

Sophie M

3. November 14th, 2014 at 11:13 pm      Reply Mr M Says:

Your class blog is amazing, lots of interesting posts, multimedia and particularly like all the commenting! I even noticed that you have had over 5,000 visitors- super work.
    Your Smartie maths looks like so much fun, was it very hard to do the activities and not eat them??
    Keep up the fantastic work,
    Mr M

• November 15th, 2014 at 10:18 pm      Reply Sophie P Says:

Hi Mr M,
      Thank You For leaving a comment on our blog.
      It was quite hard not being able to eat the smarties during the activities but at the end we were very lucky because we were allowed to eat the smarties.
      Happy Blogging 🙂
      Sophie Pa 🙂

• November 17th, 2014 at 6:54 am      Reply Gabe Says:

Hi Mr M
      It was not so easy to work without eating the smarties because they were really nice.
      Thank you for congratulating us for being over 5000 it was our goal to get 5000 now we need to get 5555.
      Thank you for commenting on our blog.

Happy blogging
      Gabe

• November 19th, 2014 at 6:48 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

Hi Mr M,

Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog.
      Do you know it really not easy to complete a goal when it comes to blogging but it very easy to leave each other comments and explain everything that they have done well. In no time i believe we are going to reach 5,000 visitors.
      It’s even very easy to eat lots of smarties because they are so YUMMY!!!!!

THANK

Taylah C

• November 27th, 2014 at 8:24 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Mr M
      Thank you for leaving a great comment on our blog.
      We have done a lot of blogging and our target is to get to 5555.
      I am hoping to get there before the end of the year. Smarties Maths was fun,
      and yes it was hard to not eat them. Smarties are tempting!

Thanks,
      Sophie M

4. November 17th, 2014 at 6:50 am      Reply Gabe Says:

The smarties maths was really fun. I enjoyed it because we used smarties to measure perimeter length width and aria.
    my mum came to the maths to help me. I worked with Nik. Me and Nik had different amounts of smarties , I had 55 smarties and he had 54.
    I enjoyed smartie maths and I cant wait to do it again.

Gabe

• November 19th, 2014 at 6:42 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

Hi Gabe,
      Thanks for leaving a comment on the blog i hope you had a fun time learning all about measurement and more.
      I hope you had a great time working with your mum and friends and had a fun time.

Happy Blogging!!!!!!!

Taylah C

• November 23rd, 2014 at 7:25 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Gabe,
      Thanks For coming on the blog. We are so close to 5,555. What was your favorite part? I had only 49 smarties.
      Happy Blogging 🙂 🙂
      Sophie Pa 🙂

• November 27th, 2014 at 8:21 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Gabe
      The smarties maths was awesome! Although some of the questions were hard
      we still got through all of them. I worked with Theresa and her mum. She
      Helped us both. We both had 52 smarties.

Sophie M

5. November 17th, 2014 at 8:02 am      Reply Mikayla S Says:

I heard you got 5000 comments awesome job!!!!!!!
    Good luck geting 5555.
    You are so lucky you got to eat smarties!

see ya

Mikayla S

• November 17th, 2014 at 8:11 pm      Reply Gabe Says:

Hi Mikayla
      thank you it was not so easy to get to 5000.
      we are almost at 5555 so hopefully we finish it by the end of the year.
      We were very lucky to eat the smarties.

Happy blogging
      Gabe

• November 20th, 2014 at 6:09 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

Hi Mikayla,
      Thank you for leaving a comment on our blog.
      I certainly do hope we reach 5, 000 visitors and with you help we certainly can.

Thanks again;
      Taylah C

• November 27th, 2014 at 8:17 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Mikayla.
      Yeah, but its a hard goal. We were
      very lucky to be able to eat them.
      We had so much fun.

Sophie M

• December 15th, 2014 at 10:02 am      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Mikayla,
      Thanks for coming on our blog.
      We are so close to 5555.
      I can’t wait until it happens.
      Happy Blogging 🙂
      Sophie Pa

6. November 17th, 2014 at 9:06 pm      Reply Myrna Says:

Thank you for inviting us (the parents) to participate in your learning experience. Wow, learning at your school is so much Fun!! I never leant maths using Smarties, let alone eat them afterwards. You are very lucky to be learning in such a fun way. It was great to see all of you work hard to get all the questions answered, and I was very impressed by how clever you all are and how helpful to each other you were. Keep up the fantastic work.
    From Myrna (Gabe’s Mum)

• November 18th, 2014 at 9:12 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Myrna,
      Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog. We loved having all of the parents come in and help us with the smarties maths because some of the questions were hard and we needed a bit of help.
      Sophie Pa 🙂

• November 19th, 2014 at 6:38 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

Hi Myrna,

Thank you for leaving a comment on our class blog.
      I hope you enjoyed learning with us about maths.

Thanks for coming

Taylah C

• November 27th, 2014 at 7:54 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Myrna,
      We all had a lot of hard questions. But we have great minds to work them out.
      I got stuck on a few questions, but I got through them with a little help.
      I enjoyed eating the Smarties at the end.

Sophie M

7. November 19th, 2014 at 6:22 am      Reply taylahchfmw Says:

I had great time at the smarty maths i loved learning all about chance, fractions, perimeter and area.
    I had a great time working with my mum and little brother Benjamin.
    I did certainly find it hard to not eat the smarties they just looked so delicious and very tasty indeed.
    My favourite part was when i got to eat the smarties and show my family what i know.

Taylah C

• November 20th, 2014 at 8:29 am      Reply Sophie P Says:

Dear Taylah,
      I also enjoyed the smarties maths.
      Your brother is so cute and smarties are delicious and very tasty indeed.
      My favorite part was when we got to eat the smarties at the end.
      Sophie P 🙂 😉

• November 27th, 2014 at 7:48 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Taylah!
      Thanks for the comment!
      I learnt a lot about smarties maths.
      I had a great time although some
      of the questions were a bit hard.

Sophie M

8. November 25th, 2014 at 5:53 am      Reply phoebejhfmw Says:

I had heaps of fun with smartie maths.
    My favorite part was when we got to eat the smarties because they were so nice.
    at the end I learnt a lot.
    phoebe

• November 27th, 2014 at 7:46 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

Hi Phoebe!
      I also had lots of fun with the smarties!
      I loved using the different strategies to help me.
      My favorite part was also eating the Smarties.
      Happy Blogging!
      Sophie M

9. November 26th, 2014 at 6:46 am      Reply ryanmhfmw Says:

hi 3/4d
    i loved the Smartie maths. i worked with Marice and Alex, how many Smarties did you have? see you later

from Ryan

10. November 27th, 2014 at 7:51 pm      Reply Sophie Says:

I had a great time at the Smarties Maths.
    I used the algorithm a lot and this different strategy.
    I had 52 smarties in my box. So did Theresa. I was working with Theresa and her mum.
    I loved the bit where we got to eat our smarties.

Sophie M

11. December 15th, 2014 at 9:18 pm      Reply Jacob Says:

Hi 3/4 D,
    I enjoyed doing maths with the smarties that we all did together , it was great fun and an enjoyable way to learn about maths plus I got to eat smarties, yummy in my tummy.
    From Jacob