Our Science Learning Expo

June30

This term in Inquiry we have been investigating ‘What is Science’. We looked at many different types of Science, visited Avila’s Science Lab, had a Scientist come in and speak with our class and carried out a few science experiments.

To go further with our inquiry each of us undertook a personal inquiry into an area of Science that interested us. Students choose to research Biology, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, Marine Biology, Archaeology, Gemology, and Geology. We had to write an information report about our chosen Science and create a presentation sharing our knowledge of both our Science and a Scientist in that field.

Finally we invited our parents, teachers and students at our school to attend our Learning Expo so we could share our new knowledge and understandings with everyone. Click the link below to see photos from our learning expo:

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Free slideshow design personalized with Smilebox

What was your favourite moment from Learning Expo?
What did you learn about your chosen area of Science?
How does that Science help us to understand our world?
Why is Science important?
What did you learn about your chosen scientist?

“Our Science Learning Expo”

1. July 15th, 2015 at 11:14 am      Reply Polo Bear Says:

WOW! Lucky ducks!!! You guys get to learn about atoms and quarks and radioactivity and the periodic table in Year 3 and 4!! I’m probably only going to learn about them in secondary. 🙁 :'(
    Can’t believe it’s been three years since I was in Year 3 in Holy Family…
    Miss you everyone….
    From Polo Bear (Alannah)

2. July 19th, 2015 at 7:07 am      Reply abbey monster Says:

Hi Miss Dickson
    i hope that everyone had lots of fun and even thou I wasn’t there I know that if I was I would have loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    From Abbey

3. July 20th, 2015 at 2:24 am      Reply john Says:

Dear 3/4D,
    Thats a great video on our awesome epic and cool sciences.
    I also like the visit to Avila video too. I thought it was fabulous finding out all our facts about our sciences my chosen science was Archaeology. The purpose of archaeology is to learn more about past societies and the development of the human race.

From you classmate John

4. July 20th, 2015 at 2:29 am      Reply samson Says:

Dear 3/4D,

It looks like that you had fun I wish I was there. When you were having fun I was probaly in a pool.

From Samson.

5. August 5th, 2015 at 6:21 am      Reply johnfhfmw Says:

Dear Miss Dickson and 3/4D,
    I see we had a lot of fun learning about our chosen sciences.
    My favourite sciences were Archaeology, Primatology, Physics and chemistry.
    I liked Freddy and Ryan’s experiment.
    Freddy’s experiment involved matches which is fire so if fire is near us or you are using matches be very careful.
    I thought Ryan’s experiment was cool because it involved colour and a star.

From John

6. August 5th, 2015 at 10:16 am      Reply Joel Says:

My favourite moment was when we went to see other people’s presentation.
    I learnt Physics is the study of matter and motion.
    Physics helps the world by different types of subject like gravity, how things work and many more subjects.
    Science is important because you can make discoveries and laws.
    Stephen Hawking discovered black holes.
    BY: JOEL

7. August 7th, 2015 at 7:39 am      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi Guys,
    Same as Abbey.
    I was so bummed when i found out that I could not make it to the science expo!
    I hope you all had fun and created a lot of great projects.
    i watched the video and you guys looked amazing in you scientists outfits.
    Wish i could have been there.
    From Ayva

8. August 10th, 2015 at 9:07 pm      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi guys,
    Its Ayva again,
    I had such a great experiment and presentation to show and i cant wait to show you it some time this
    Term.
    From Ayva

9. August 20th, 2015 at 8:50 am      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi guys,
    I am so sorry I could not be there but i hope to read some information reports on how it was.
    From Ayva

10. August 25th, 2015 at 9:52 am      Reply Mia Says:

Hi Miss Dickson ,

my favourite moment was when we got to say things and show a slide show or something
    I did learn about my chosen science
    because if you did not know anything about science you had to know a lot about science that you got

11. September 9th, 2015 at 1:04 am      Reply Georgia Rose Says:

Dear Miss Dickson,
    My favourite moment from the learning expo was looking at what other people had decided to study and I also really enjoyed watching everyone else’s experiments. They were a lot more clever and creative than I expected!
    From Georgia

12. September 9th, 2015 at 1:16 am      Reply Georgia Rose Says:

Dear Miss Dickson,
    I decided to study Gemology the study of gems, rocks an minerals and I learnt that gemologists can save lives since a part of Gemology is Volcanology and they make sure that at least a fort night before an eruption so that the community would be safe and evacuated so no one would get hurt.
    From Georgia