Kids Learning Together

A 3/4 Class Blog

How Does Money Work – Week 2

July31

On Monday 3/4 D and 3/4 BB were learning about needs and wants. Firstly we did an activity where we had to decide what we could pack in our back pack if we were going camping for the weekend. We all paired up and the partner had to be from the other class. We had to choose what things we would need for survival as opposed to things we could live without. We discussed the difference between a need and a want.

needs and wants

On Tuesday we continued to look at needs and wants. We brainstormed all the needs and wants for different people in the community – a baby, an elderly couple and a child. Next we read about a book called Harry and Herbert.

4925961

One day they were fishing and they found treasure. Herbert pushed Harry off a boat and took the treasure to a fortress that he made after a while. Herbert could not sleep but Harry could sleep. Herbert could not sleep because he was too worried about someone taking his treasure which is a want. Harry could sleep because he had family and a shelter and a bed. Harry got it better than Herbert. Good Choice Harry!!

On Thursday we read a book called ‘Alexander Who Used To Be Rich Last Sunday’. This book was about a boy called Alexander who didn’t realise the difference between needs and wants. So he didn’t spend his money wisely, and instead he got something he really wanted not what he needed.

181131

This is important to realise because some people waste money on what they really want and then when they need something they don’t have any money left to pay for their needs. You need to think carefully about what to spend your money on. It is important to purchase a need before a want.

Then we were assigned to do a Diamond Ranking of our needs and wants. At the top was the thing we needed most, and then down at the bottom, was something we wanted, but it wasn’t needed. It was really fun, and we all thought about different things!

On friday we talked about budgets. We investigated what the term budgeting means and all of the different types of budgets. A budget involves having a plan for spending and saving money. A budget is the amount of money that is available for spending and a plan on how it will be spent. Individuals and families can have budgets but so too can the government. This is called the Federal budget.

We watched a Behind the News video about the 2010 Federal Budget and it talked to the treasurer of Australia, Wayne Swan. He shares the money to ministers, which are people who are in charge of different states, and different things in life, such as: Minister Of Education, Minister Of Housing, Minister Of Environment, Minister Of Public Transport and Minister Of Health And Safety.

And if, say, the Treasurer makes more tax for parents to pay, it may sound like it doesn’t involve you, but if your Mum and Dad need to pay more tax, you pocket money will go down. So it affects a lot of people. That’s why the Treasurer needs to keep things even, or people will be affected, good or bad.

What does money mean to you?
If you were on a hiking trip what would you take?
How does money help us?
How can money effect us in bad ways?

Blog post written by Lachlan, Luca, Liv and Livi.

by posted under Uncategorized | 7 Comments »    

“How Does Money Work – Week 2”

1. August 4th, 2015 at 10:21 am      Reply Ashleigh Says:

Hi everyone, I’m sure you will have lots of fun learning about money and how to use it wisely. I really liked the work you all did on “needs and wants” and the great books you have read together. I am looking so forward to your market day.

2. August 5th, 2015 at 9:52 am      Reply Kalani Says:

Dear Miss Dickson,
    Money makes me happy because I can buy the things I like and need.

On a hiking trip I would take with me a tent, a sleeping bag, food, water and a phone.

Money helps us to buy things we need and want.

Money can be bad if you use it for buying bad things. This can effect us badly because we can get in trouble and hurt.
    From Kalani

3. August 8th, 2015 at 11:05 pm      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi everyone,
    Money actually does not mean that much to me because i only need a family. money can help us though.

I would bring Food, water, phone, blankets, pillow and tent

Money helps us because we can use it to buy food and other supplies

Money can also be used in stupid ways. like if you went to a shop and bought bad tablets then you can change and never be the same again. you can to something bad to someone else and end up in jail, wake up the next morning and realize or you could just never wake up again.

4. August 11th, 2015 at 8:59 am      Reply Greeny Says:

Hi Miss Dickson and 3/4D,
    I love money myself but that would be being a little greedy. Anyway if I was going to be rich just last Sunday and spend it all in the one day i think it would be not as good as spreading it out by spending it on different days.
    Charlotte

5. August 16th, 2015 at 3:40 am      Reply joel Says:

Money means like notes and coins to me.
    I would take a sleeping bag, food and water and clothes.
    Money helps us to buy stuff.
    Money can effect us bad if we always buying your wants.
    By Joel

6. August 24th, 2015 at 10:01 am      Reply Georgia The Unicorn Says:

Dear 3/4D and Miss Dickson,
    Money really means nothing much to me however it can really help us with our daily expenses such as buying groceries, paying for our car and house. If I were going on a hiking trip I would take under my needs I would take a sleeping bag, a tent, a torch however I would not take any food or water because food can be caught in the lake and even though water may not be the cleanest from the lake it is still better than wasting water when their is another solution. Money can help us by giving us access to our wants but especially our needs which include basic clothes, healthy food, house, car and school fee’s. one of the ways money can affect us badly is bribery. if someone says I’ll give you 1000 bucks if you go steal that 50 inch TV from that house across the street there would be very bad consequences for stealing. Also the fact that money, like in the book that we read Alexander say nice things that just so happened to be a WANT so by the end of the week he was broke. So that is also a another way money is bad for us.
    From Georgia

7. August 25th, 2015 at 10:18 am      Reply Mia Says:

Hi Miss Dickson ,

money Is Important to me because you can buy things with it
    if I was on a hiking trip I would take water ,food , hiking stick , marshmallows , pillow and
    clothes
    money helps us because of bills and things that you need to pay
    well if you lose all of your money and you need you pay bills that can effect you
    from Mia