How to make Salt Dough Animals – Procedure

August1

This term we have been learning all about Procedures. Recently we made salt dough animals. Some of the animals included unicorns, owls, wolves, spiders, penguins and lots more. We also painted the animals in a lot of different colours.

This is an example of the salt dough unicorn:

IMG_4401

Here is the procedure you can follow to make your own Salt Dough Unicorn:

Title: How to make a salty dough animal

Goal: Follow to make a salty dough unicorn.

Ingredients:
grease paper
pencil
oven
paint
salt
water
mixing bowl
cup measures
baking sheet
plain flour
cup measures

Method:
1. Carefully scoop one cup of flour into a mixing bowl.
2. Add half a cup of salt into the bowl and give it a stir.
3. Add half a cup of water – adding some more each time and mixing ever so quickly and carefully.
4. Knead dough firmly in mixing bowl and all ingredients should bind together.
5. Take dough out from mixing bowl.
6. Knead ball of dough for approx 10 minutes.
7. Roll evenly to 0.5cm thickness.
8. Cut your animal out of your dough
9. Carefully place in oven for 4 hours on 100c
10. Paint your animal

Evaluation: You can now make your house pretty or make someone else happy.

Below are photos of our class’ amazing Salt Dough Animal Creations:

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Personalize your own digital slideshow

What animal did you make?

What colours did you use?

Was this a successful procedure?

Was this enjoyable?

What are some other ideas on procedures we should try?

Blog Post Written By Ayva, Abbey, Georgia and Lachlan

“How to make Salt Dough Animals – Procedure”

1. August 3rd, 2015 at 6:09 am      Reply noraphfmw Says:

Dear Miss Dickson.
    I made a owl and other animals. I included all of the colours for all the animals. My animals were all great and successful . It was lots of fun making the animals and bringing them home to show our family.
    We could make cookies or pancakes.
    From happy Nora
    Thank you Miss Dickson for all the great things you have done with us. (=0D)

2. August 3rd, 2015 at 6:13 am      Reply noraphfmw Says:

Dear Miss Dickson,

Thank you for the beautiful pictures and videos you have created with the children.

Teodora (Nora’s Mum)

3. August 4th, 2015 at 10:10 am      Reply Ashleigh Says:

What a fantastic blog 3/4’s! Well done Miss Dickson on all your hard work and for posting so many wonderful clips and images of all your learning adventures! The salt dough animals were all so unique and creative, well done.

From Ashleigh (Jenna’s mum)

4. August 5th, 2015 at 6:06 am      Reply John Says:

Dear Miss Dickson/3/4D,
    The animal I made was a red back spider.
    The colours I used was red, black and blue.
    I think this procedure was successful because it was a fun recipe and people were happy with their creations.
    This was enjoyable because some people made a few things others me one big thing.
    Procedures are good things to follow because following a recipe can turn out to be very useful things.
    It is basically an experiment.

From John

5. August 7th, 2015 at 7:48 am      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi Miss Dickson,
    I am going to answer my own questions here:
    Q1: I actually made 21 unicorns and a smiley face!

Q2: I used the colours white, gold, pink, red, purple and a mint green

Q3: This was such a successful recipe

Q4: This was enjoyable

Q5: I reckon you could try…………
    TO MAKE CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!

from Ayva

6. August 7th, 2015 at 8:28 am      Reply Laura Says:

Great job 3/4D
    I saw the animals and I thought it looked cool!
    It looked very fun.
    From Laura (Mia’s sister)

7. August 11th, 2015 at 8:49 am      Reply Greeny Says:

Hi Miss Dickson,
    I loved doing the salt dough animals they were so much fun and I can’t wait to try them at home!!
    From
    Charlotte

8. August 11th, 2015 at 8:52 am      Reply Greeny Says:

Hi Miss Dickson and 3/4D,
    I loved the post about the salt dough animals because they are really clever as well as colourful and I loved them.
    From
    Sophie (Charlotte’s sister)

9. August 11th, 2015 at 8:33 pm      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi guys,
    I have never done this before and it is creative!
    I have never seen anyone else do this.
    I thought it was very fun!
    From Ayva

10. August 11th, 2015 at 8:35 pm      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi Miss.D
    I just wanted to say….
    I NEED MORE POSTS AND FAST!!!!
    I am running out of posts to comment on so please please please posts more before friday!
    From Ayva
    P.S PLEASE BEFORE FRIDAY

11. August 11th, 2015 at 9:13 pm      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi guys,
    I just want to ask a question!
    Q: how do you put your google form on your blog because i was not there for that ict lesson so can someone please tell me and quick!
    From Ayva
    P.S please answer my question

12. August 11th, 2015 at 9:16 pm      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi guys,
    I am trying salt dough animals they worked and then i tried instead of salt i used sugar and instead of acrylic paint i used icing. it tasted delicious it was basically cookies.
    They were so fun to make and i cant wait to make more stuff like that!
    From Ayva

13. August 13th, 2015 at 8:53 pm      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

To miss D,
    I am so glad that the raffle will be done today cause this is my final comment!
    From Ayva

14. August 15th, 2015 at 10:52 am      Reply noraphfmw Says:

Dear Miss Dickson,
    I made a salt dough animal at home. it is so much fun. thank you for showing us about salt dough.
    from Little happy nora.

15. August 17th, 2015 at 8:59 am      Reply Joel Says:

Hi miss Dickson and everyone,
    I made two little Ducks.
    I used Yellow.
    Yes! it was successful.
    This was so much enjoyable!
    we should make Pancakes.
    By Joel

16. August 24th, 2015 at 9:06 am      Reply Georgia The Unicorn Says:

Dear Miss Dickson and 3/4D,
    I had a lot of fun making my salty dough unicorn just as well, typing it up.
    My salty dough creation as you know was the unicorn above. I used also as you can see pink, white and I mixed some colours together to make gold (to be specific brown, yellow and white). This was a very successful procedure however mine, at the end broke. This was also a very enjoyable procedure and I am definitely going to try it again at home! And I also agree with Ayva, We should definitely try making some chocolate!!!
    From Georgia

17. August 25th, 2015 at 7:04 am      Reply abbey monster Says:

Dear Miss D,
    Q1. I made a owl
    Q2. I used purple, black, white and mint
    Q3. yes this was succefull
    Q4. This was enjoyable
    Q5. We should make Ice cream. who ever wrote this must be amazing
    From Abbey

18. August 25th, 2015 at 7:08 am      Reply abbey monster Says:

Hi 3/4’s,
    I haven’t made one but I would make a unicorn It would be pink and you should make shepherds pie
    From Joelee

19. August 25th, 2015 at 7:11 am      Reply abbey monster Says:

Hi,
    I haven’t made any ether but I would make a koala and paint it grey, white and black and maybe green and you should make fruit salad
    from Piper

20. August 25th, 2015 at 8:17 am      Reply Georgia the Unicorn Says:

Dear Miss Dickson and 3/4D,
    I really like the smile box presentation, very creative! I tried one at home once but its not nearly as good, co-ordinated or long as this one though!
    From Georgia

21. August 25th, 2015 at 9:33 am      Reply Mia Says:

Hi Miss Dickson,

for the salt dough animal I did a butterfly the colours that I used were blue and pink and red this was a successful procedure because I did a successful job I enjoyed it a lot
    I think we should make pancakes

From Mia

22. August 25th, 2015 at 11:32 am      Reply abbey monster Says:

Hi 3/4 D,
    I loved the salt dough creation that Abbey bought home.
    I remember doing them when I was at school (a very long time ago)
    I think you should ask Miss D to let you all make Waffles!! yummmm

Wendy (Abbeys mum)

23. August 26th, 2015 at 10:16 am      Reply Jorja Says:

Hi 3/4D!
    I just watched the Smile Box slideshow showing all your wonderful salt dough creations. They were all very creative and colourful. It looked liked you had a great time making them.
    I really like that we are lucky enough to have the resources to be able to see them all on your blog.
    From Melissa (Jorja’s Mum)

24. September 1st, 2015 at 10:10 pm      Reply Greeny Says:

Hi Miss Dickson and 3/4D,
    I loved making the salt dough animals. It was so fun don’t you think? We tried making them at home for my sister and she loved it. The animals that she made was a Dog, Dolphin & a turtle.

From