Kids Learning Together

A 3/4 Class Blog

How Does Money Work – Week 3 & 4

August16

On Thursday 30th July (week 3) we read the book The Money Tree. It was about Miss Mcgillicuddy who had a money tree in her backyard. All the people in the community kept on taking money from it and the tree began to get weaker and weaker. Once it got so weak it’s leaves started to turn brown and fall off. When they all fell off, Miss Mcgillicuddy chopped the tree down. She was happy now that no one came into her backyard. After the book we did an activity that involved us getting into groups. We had to talk about the book.

858584

On Friday 31st July (week 3) We worked in small groups to create a proposal to use the money from The Money Tree for something that would benefit the whole community. Some people proposed fire stations, others water parks and theme parks. We had to discuss the location where it will be and how much money it would cost. At the end we all shared what work we did.

On Monday 3rd August (week 4) We got into groups and brainstormed possible ideas for Market Day focussing on both market stalls selling goods and market stalls offering services. Some ideas we came up with is sponge throw which is when you put your head in this hole and you throw a sponge at your head. You get wet but it is fun. We also came with a idea like nail polish, muffin pizzas, lolly stall, and art and crafts.

On Tuesday 4th August (week 4) we got into groups and filled in possible ideas for Market day. We planned our proposals for Market Day. We had to find a group and write a proposal about 6 stalls we would like to do. 3/4BB and 3/4D made sensible choices with who was in their group (2 students from each class). We all enjoyed writing and combining our ideas together.

On Thursday 6th August (week 4) a Guest speaker came in and talked to the 3/4s about her photo booth business – Not Just A Visual Photo Booth. You can visit her website below:

http://www.notjustvisualphotobooths.com/

We learnt that you have to work out how much to sell your product for, depending on how much it costs to make and how long it takes to create the product. We also learnt that you have to be polite and friendly to your customers. Some people got a photo at the photo booth and brought it home. There were accessories you could dress up in like bunny ears, glasses and viking hats. Check out photos below from our session with Justine:

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Customize your own free slideshow design

The last things we learnt was there are two different types of photo booths like the automated photo booth and the studio photo booth. We talked about what we need for our Market Day Stall and how to run a business.

What new discoveries have you made about ‘How Money Works’?
How would you spend the money from the Money Tree?
What did you learn from our Guest Speaker?
What stall are you running at Market Day?

Blog Post Written By Freddy, Jenna, Michael and Gabriella

by posted under Uncategorized | 13 Comments »    

“How Does Money Work – Week 3 & 4”

1. August 17th, 2015 at 9:20 am      Reply Joel Says:

I learned money works by you buying things and by you paying someone else to do something.
    If i were to buy something i would by my need’s.
    That there is two different types of photo booths one is automated and studio photo booth.
    My group is running a bean bag toss

2. August 20th, 2015 at 8:43 am      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

hi guys,
    I have learnt that you cant have everything you want.
    First I would buy my needs then my wants.
    I learnt that to run a successful business there are lots of jobs to do.
    My group is running a lollie raffle and lucky dip
    From Ayva

3. August 20th, 2015 at 8:47 am      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi miss D,
    I loved the smilebox presentation. It is very creative.
    From Ayva

4. August 24th, 2015 at 8:57 am      Reply Georgia The Unicorn Says:

Hi 3/4D and Miss Dickson,
    I have learnt that money can sometimes make you do bad things, such as rob banks, homes and other buildings. It can also make you hurt other people.
    I would firstly save up my money and slowly buy my absolute NEEDS and then I would look towards my WANTS. I learnt that running a business is harder than you think, and that it could take months, even years! My group is running a Lolly store with a lucky dip and a raffle.
    From Georgia

5. August 25th, 2015 at 6:35 am      Reply abbey Says:

3/4D,
    I would spend the money on the community, give some to charity and give some to the family’s in the community. I learnt from the guest speaker that you need to sell the product for more that it takes to make it. And I am running a craft stall

6. August 25th, 2015 at 6:41 am      Reply abbey monster Says:

Hi 3/4D,
    I would spend the money on the community and give some to charity. I learnt from the guest speaker that you have to sell your product for more than it takes to make it. And the stall I am running is the craft stall
    From Abbey

• August 25th, 2015 at 6:55 am      Reply abbey monster Says:

Hi 3/4’s,
      I would go on a holiday to Britain and than to America.I really liked the smile box presentation it was very creative. I am not running a stall but right now I am making bookmarks for Abbey
      From joelee

7. August 25th, 2015 at 6:52 am      Reply abbey monster Says:

Hi 3/4’s,
    From Abbey

8. August 25th, 2015 at 6:54 am      Reply abbey monster Says:

Dear 3/4D,
    I think that it was a very interesting post I don’t know what I would spent the money on and I’m not doing anything to do with market day.
    From Piper

9. August 25th, 2015 at 11:29 am      Reply abbey monster Says:

HI 3/4 D,
    How cool would it be to actually have a money tree!!
    I can’t wait to come and have a look at all the stalls at the Market Day.
    I’m sure there will be plenty of things I will want to spend my money on.

Wendy (Abbey’s Mum)

10. August 26th, 2015 at 10:04 pm      Reply AK47 The Minion Says:

Hi 3/4D
    I would spend the money on a holiday, car, a house and all the stuff i want.
    From Callum

11. August 27th, 2015 at 9:38 am      Reply noraphfmw Says:

Dear Miss Dickson,
    Money works in a lot of ways.
    I don’t know what id get with the money.
    I’m doing a opshop.
    There are a lot of great jobs you can do.
    from nora

12. August 27th, 2015 at 9:39 am      Reply noraphfmw Says:

Hi Miss Dickson ,
    Wouldn’t it be funny if a money tree grew in your garden.
    from Nora