Kids Learning Together

A 3/4 Class Blog

Learning to write great descriptions by making popcorn

September4

Year 3/4D have been learning about descriptive writing. A good description allows the reader to feel like they are experiencing what you are writing about. In descriptive writing we use adjectives to achieve this.

The primary purpose of descriptive writing is to describe a person, place or thing in such a way that a picture is formed in the reader’s mind. Capturing an event through descriptive writing involves paying close attention to the details by using all of your five senses. We made popcorn and had to describe the experience using our sense of sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste.

Click on the video below to see our popping popcorn experience:

After making popcorn we filled in our data chart describe the experience using our 5 senses. Then we created our descriptions. Below are a few of our amazing descriptions.

Impatiently the class waits while they get separated into four groups hoping to be with their friends. Once in groups we are sent to a hard cold desk inside the well decorated classroom. We stare at the bright yellow machine that stands in the center of the desk. As soon as we are at the table we start the bright yellow popcorn machine. After a few minutes of heating the machine is now hot and ready to go. We can now close the flap and pour the round corn kernels in. As we open the flap the kernels quickly pour into the hole in the bottom of the machine. The machine buzzes like a hair dryer and the kernels get swept around like they are clothes in a washing machine. After 2 minutes something happens. POP, POP, POP. Popcorn flies everywhere luckily the machine has a tall lid that makes the popcorn shoot into a bowl. They are all different shapes and sizes. They look like different clouds. the texture is lumpy, spongy and you can feel the saltiness. Our mouths start to water as our teacher pours popcorn into blue, striped cups for us to enjoy. People like me liked more crushed salt. You could smell the sweet butter and the ocean salt on the delicious popcorn. The colour is white, with a hint of a faded yellow. On the inside is a crisp brown. I start to feel hungry but excited. Finally I take a bite. It is delicious but i have to explain more. I feel like a food critic on master chef. I define my tastes into buttery, salty and really yummy. Immediately It feels warm on the outside but when you really bite it it burns your tongue with hotness. After four refills with my cup I hit salt bottom. Yes I literally drink up the rest of the popcorn and the salt. I get about two tablespoons of salt in and on my precious tongue. I run for my water bottle and drink up ¾ of the water. We now have no popping popcorn left and I still can’t feel my tongue. By Ayva

Whir! I heard the popcorn machine starting up. All of a sudden I heard a POP. POP, POP, POP, POP went the noisy machine. It made me want to reach out and touch the miracle food but I knew it was unsafe. Finally after teasing us by making us smell the amazing smell of popcorn the machine stopped. Miss K handed us big cups of the wonderful, buttery, salty, bumps they call popcorn.

I played an exciting game of Chubby Bubbies with Samson. “1 Chubby Bubby” I said as the first small bomb of happiness hit my open mouth. By the end of the game there were 43 pieces of goodness in my mouth. I tried to stop thinking the delicious taste because I knew I might not get more and it would be painful agony to keep thinking about it. Then everyone was handed another small piece of yumminess. I ate it all quickly and gave a big sigh. It was over. Oh well, It was an exciting, joyful experience.  By Lachlan

As I was sitting in the gray chair watching the red popcorn machine. It was popping like no tomorrow. My mouth was watering. I imagined the popcorn in my watering mouth. It smelled like butter. Finally it is time to receive popcorn and I am feeling speechless. I slowly picked up a piece of popcorn and peeled it apart to see what was inside. Next I quickly popped it into my mouth. The popcorn tasted burnt but it still tasted amazing. I asked for more and we each got second servings. Suddenly there was no popcorn left. I felt ruined, torn to shreds.  By Aidan

As I enter the room yellow, red and green popcorn machines surround me. I stand around a red popcorn machine on a hard, green desk. The red popcorn machine starts to buzz as it heats up. Just a few seconds later it was boiling hot and smelled like fire. I heard popping sounds around me. I turned around to see what everyone else was up to but when I looked back a single popcorn jumped into the bowl then another, and two more. Pretty soon the bowl was filled to the brim but the yummy popcorn was still popping. Popcorn flew out of the bowl and landed on the round, hard desk.  Finally it stopped and I got a yummy, hot cup of popcorn. I picked up a salty, warm piece of popcorn and put it in my watering mouth. It was crunchy and chewy.  Suddenly the saltiness hit my tongue as I gasped for water trying to have more hot popcorn.  When it went away I sighed in reliefI.As i finished the yummy cup of popcorn, I stared at the empty bowl wanting more of the crunchy popcorn but it was all gone! By Jenna

What is descriptive writing?
How would you describe making popcorn?
Did you enjoy this experience? Why?

by posted under Uncategorized | 5 Comments »    

“Learning to write great descriptions by making popcorn”

1. September 7th, 2015 at 11:15 am      Reply joel Says:

Descriptive writing is making the person who is reading experience things and making them feel.
    I would use adjectives, verbs, adverbs and nouns.
    Yes i did enjoy it because i like making things and eating them

2. September 9th, 2015 at 12:48 am      Reply Georgia Rose Says:

Dear Miss Dickson,
    Descriptive writing is describing a person, place or thing which forms an image in the readers mind, so the reader can experience what the writer has experienced or what they are writing about making them feel emotions.
    From Georgia

3. September 9th, 2015 at 12:51 am      Reply Georgia Rose Says:

Dear Miss Dickson,
    To describe making popcorn I would use adjectives, adverbs, verbs and nouns.
    From Georgia

4. September 9th, 2015 at 12:56 am      Reply Georgia Rose Says:

Dear Miss Dickson,
    I really enjoyed the experience of making popcorn because it tasted really good.
    From Georgia

5. October 8th, 2015 at 11:17 pm      Reply Greeny Says:

Hi Miss Dickson,
    Loved the post. Great job to you all who typed that all up I en joyed it a lot and it was really interesting.
    Charlotte